The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #51
Skunksmash

Re: Do you guys like hand crank windows or electric better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Agreed , When I did my relay mod my windows work perfect . It only uses the door switches to control the relays and gets the load away from the door switch . Also increases the voltage to the motor for better operation with the relay .
I've been looking for you. lol

Not really but been looking for someone who did that mod. Do the windows roll up and down faster now? I put a new AC delco power window motor in the passenger side, and it does roll up and down faster now. As opposed to barely working at all. But its still not quite as fast as I like it to be. Did the relay mod give you any speed increase, with the power windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
No way would I ever have a non-AC vehicle for summer cruising in the hot/humid Iowa summers! I keep very nicely detailed interiors and the last thing I'm going to do is sweat like a serial killer in a confession booth all over it!
Same here man! In TX its like a sauna inside a vehicle in the summer, without AC.

Back to the switches though. I recently bought a new driver's side power lock switch. I've been having problems with it, and after messing around with it for a bit, I found out that its actually just the connector. You're familiar with that connector, I'm sure. Its got 3 holes in it, that you're just supposed to shove in there, and hope it stays. There is no clasp, to hold the connector tightly to the switch. So of course, after all this time, it doesn't really want to stay connected very well. One end of the connector is always sticking too far out away from the pin on the switch.

I can hold it there by hand, and the switch works just fine. But as soon as I let go and put the switch back into the door panel, my "unlock" function no longer works. Guess that must be the side of the connector that is coming off of the switch. What method would you use, to secure this connector? You can't really zip tie it... and I'd rather not epoxy it if that could be avoided. Need some kind of clamping force to hold the electrical connector to the back of the switch.

Next question!

The power window switch, on the passenger side, only wants to work if the window is already rolled up at least 25%. So if the passenger rolls their window all the way down, they can't roll it back up. Unless, I roll it up using the driver's side switch, to at least a quarter of the way up, for them. Then they can go head and roll up their window. This seems weird to me...they can roll it all the way down if they like. But then of course its too low, and they can't roll it back up.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 06-20-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #52
homemade87

Skunk , There is several threads with the relay mod . Search for window relay mod and you will find most of them . Here is one of them .http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ndow+relay+mod

There is venders on here that has the harness that will make it easier for you . I built mine from scratch . The one thing I did to lessen the voltage loss was run a auxiliary power block direct from the battery (fused) to the fire wall . I used this for other things as well for my ls swap . Then I pulled a #10ga from this to the relays then to the motors . I stayed away from the factory wiring for this because the factory wiring is limited .

Also your windows need to be in good mechanical shape . Rollers , track , felts , track adjustment , motors . All this needs to be this way anyway , so if you have problem this is the time to address any issues . Good luck with the mod if you decide to . You will love it when you done .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #53
MikeB

IMO, power windows are just one more point of failure, especially aftermarket versions. And they require drilling holes in the doors and cab, and making sure the wiring doesn't get crimped when the doors close. Yeah, it can be done right, but I certainly wouldn't add power windows to a truck with hand crank windows.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #54
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73kay View Post

Vent windows? Totally different story. Have yet to really understand their purpose other than make trying to replace seals a complete pain in the butt. Lol
You are right on the money there! But I do like to crank the drivers side open to act as a defroster on cold humid mornings. And on hot days when the main window is down, the vent window keeps wind from smacking me in the side of the head and messing up my hair.:0
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:14 AM   #55
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I agree on not drilling holes to add power window stuff-thats more work to me than just finding power doors and swapping them out-making a new center harness for them is the easy part then. More so than the factory feed wire, the OEM switches just add too much resistance to the power window circuit overall-I do whatever it takes to relieve them of carrying a load.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #56
aotte1

Crank windows for me too, very simple, dependable, and less weight. Mine is an old fashioned pretty much stock looking truck.

Who needs power windows if always stays in the heat and A/C garage with car cover on it?

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #57
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
IMO, power windows are just one more point of failure, especially aftermarket versions. And they require drilling holes in the doors and cab, and making sure the wiring doesn't get crimped when the doors close. Yeah, it can be done right, but I certainly wouldn't add power windows to a truck with hand crank windows.
That's an old argument I've heard many times, mostly by people who don't have power windows. But I'll offer a counter argument. Here are my points:

1. Manual windows fail. Anyone who thinks they don't is fooling themselves. I've had handles break, tracks stick or lock up, and tracks just come apart inside the door. I'd go so far as to say that the failure rate is actually somewhat close to being in range of each other. I will admit that manuals last longer, but they're still living on borrowed time just like power's. Maybe power windows finally fail in 9 years (from their brand new date) and manual fail in 16 years. But they're still going to fail.

2. That said, which would you rather have? 16 years of hand crank, or 9 years of push button? Imho, so what if I've got to replace a couple of $30 motors every 9 years (that's about how long mine have lasted roughly) if I get to enjoy 9 years of not having to crank? There is a reason you see pretty much all newer vehicles with power instead of manual. Nobody wants that stuff anymore. Who can blame em.

3. Its not nearly as difficult as people seem to think, to work on power windows, when you finally have to. It may require patience, as most of this stuff does, but its not difficult. I'd go so far as to say its easy once you've done it once. There seems to be some aversion to having to work on them, but its not really any big deal.

Those are my points. Thank you for reading.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote