The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Turtleman

Brake Lines and Tie Rods

I started this awhile ago.. the 66 is my daily driver but I needed to get the swap done,, so time came to put it up on blocks and get it done,, in the mean time I was driving my 84 GMC 3500Vandura,, running to the store and for parts, ect. ect., returning to the shop the other day the Vans Tranny went BOOM!.. so now I'm on foot.. "Literally".

Does anyone know of a Brake Line Change Over that fits a 87 caliper but will run to the rear mount of the 66 crossmember? or is that something I'll have to have made?

The other issue I ran into is I forgot what side each tie rod goes to. The inner wasn't marked as left of right and I don't think that matters but the outer tie rod ends were marked left and right.. The mark I put on them came off so now I can't tell what is what... aren't they a reverse thread? or does it really matter?

Turtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
Improbcat

Re: Brake Lines and Tie Rods

It looks like Inline tube sells a kit to convert all your brake lines for a dual-resivour disc brake setup
http://inlinetube.com/Preformed%20Li.../CT-CAT-07.htm

It looks like you'd need one of these, but you may want to read the list and/or call them to make sure it is the right kit:
CTB66D8 - 1966 Power Disc Conversion Line Set 12pc, Short Bed - $185 stainless - $160 OEM
CTB66D9 - 1966 Power Disc Conversion Line Set 12pc, Long Bed - $185 stainless - $160 OEM

For the tie rods, only the ones with matching thread direction will thread into the correct sleeve, but from what I understand it doesn't matter which set goes in the left or right.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Turtleman

Thanks for the link,
I've got brake lines, and a flare tool so I can make my hard lines,, that's not the issue.
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a interchange part for the 87 caliper to the 66 crossmember mount.. I'd rather run the rubber line to the 66 mount instead of running it forward like the 87 had.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
PGSigns

I ran min forward after trying a couple of ways to get them run to the back. never found a good way to do it. I was able to use the existing holes in the frame and ran the lines with the copper nickel brake line from the parts store. Went in clean and pretty quickly.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
Turtleman

I think I'm running into the same thing PGSigns,,, The front access is oblong hole through the frame,, but the 87 brake line will reach there,, I still have the bolt to hold the 87 line to the upper control arm...so maybe thats what I'll have to do.

There's a shop not far from me here that makes Hydraulic Lines while you wait.. they done a bunch of stuff for me in the past on my Forklift ,, Tractors and my Tub Grinder... I'll take both 66 and 87 lines to them with the correct length and see what they say.... Just as soon as I can find a ride.. to far to walk..
Old 06-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You might check out the '71-'72 front hoses. They mount to a bracket on the crossmember like you have, but I do not know if they will work with a '87 caliper
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Turtleman

Thanks Captain.. thats real close just the banjo fitting on the caliper side .. I havent found what I want in the interchange manuals I use,, but it would be nice to find out..

1971 Brake Line;

1987 Brake Line;

Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
63longfleet

the hoses that came with my kit from POL line up perfectly with my factory mounts on the crossmember.
Name:  brakeline.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  58.2 KB
63longfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #9
Turtleman

Is that a 87 caliper? I ask because some years caliper have the slot on it to keep the line from moving