The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Skunksmash

Too much brake dust?

Does your truck produce a lot of brake dust? I'm just running the stock rallys, and man. In just a few days, they're starting to darken up. In a month they're covered and need work put into getting all that caked on brake dust off.

Now in stark contrast to that, take my wife's toyota. She has a 2009 toyota sedan, and that thing doesn't know the meaning of brake dust. Granted, the wheels are much newer and far less porous at this point. But you really can't even tell that any brake dust is even there, until you wash it. Then you might say "Oh yeah, it does look a bit cleaner now".

My old chevy truck is just the brake dust King! Is yours? I was thinking of trying these, they say they produce little to no brake dust. Supposedly its their reason for existing. Man that would be nice to have on my truck. Has anyone here used them? If so, how were they? I'm having trouble locating the exact part number for my truck as well. Amazon and summit seem to be giving conflicting information.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Too much brake dust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Does your truck produce a lot of brake dust? I'm just running the stock rallys, and man. In just a few days, they're starting to darken up. In a month they're covered and need work put into getting all that caked on brake dust off.

Now in stark contrast to that, take my wife's toyota. She has a 2009 toyota sedan, and that thing doesn't know the meaning of brake dust. Granted, the wheels are much newer and far less porous at this point. But you really can't even tell that any brake dust is even there, until you wash it. Then you might say "Oh yeah, it does look a bit cleaner now".

My old chevy truck is just the brake dust King! Is yours? I was thinking of trying these, they say they produce little to no brake dust. Supposedly its their reason for existing. Man that would be nice to have on my truck. Has anyone here used them? If so, how were they? I'm having trouble locating the exact part number for my truck as well. Amazon and summit seem to be giving conflicting information.

You do not have a link or product listed in your post. We don't know what you are going to try

Brake dust is not caused by the wheels, its caused by the brakes.

I would recommend a premium quality semi-metallic brake pad. If you by the cheap low grade pads, they wear out quicker. The quicker the pads wear out, the quicker the wheels will get dust on them.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
Liberty

My 82 makes a ton of brake dust, but I'm running really cheap brakes.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

I've had the best luck with the non metallic cheapo pads for less dust, and easier to wash off.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
ont_guy_38

Get ceramic brake pads

"The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light-colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer."

1985 C10
2004 Avalanche
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
LuvNLife

I've got the exact same issue as the Skunksmash. I'm getting enough dust after just 20-some miles of driving, when I wipe down my front wheels with a cloth, it's really noticeable. I drove about 80 miles when I had 'Vette rally wheels, and thought the paint was mismatched on them front to back, it was so bad.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand (part numbers would be great, too) of pad not prone to doing this? Also, the rotors have less than 300 miles on them, but would they need to be turned when swapping the pads?

Jerry
LuvNLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
93M6Formula

Literally any higher end ceramic and SOME semi-metallic pads will work. The cheap stuff is what makes the dust. Spend the money on ceramics and never worry again.
1995 GMC K2500 ECLB 6.5L 4L80E
1996 GMC K3500 CCLB LB7 6L90
93M6Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
You do not have a link or product listed in your post. We don't know what you are going to try

Brake dust is not caused by the wheels, its caused by the brakes.
Erm, I don't think I ever implied that I thought brake dust was made by the wheels...

But yeah sorry about that. I was trying to find the correctpart number for EBC Redstuff brake pads. I've had ceramics on my mustang, still made a fair amount of brake dust, albeit less of it. I'm looking for very low brake dust, like the wife's 'yota.

Does anyone here happen to know the part number? Summit and Amazon and ebay parts lookup all disagree on the right part number. You'll put it in the search, and it will come up with the part. But then you click "check and make sure" or whatever, and it always comes back with "this item does not fit your vehicle!" Model is 87 R10 2wd half ton. Guess its time to call EBC.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote