The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
MattPSU

Head Gasket Question

I have the dreaded, leaking 706 heads. There's water coming out one of the header bolts. It's no pouring out, but it is leaking slowly. There hasn't been any water in my oil - I've been keeping an eye on that - but I wanted to swap these out before I ran into more problems.

My buddy gave me a set of 862 heads that were part of a deal when he bought a truck. They were on a boosted motor that had been disassembled. They've had the gap filled and the face machined so that they could run LS9 head gaskets. (see picture for reference). From what I gather, those gaskets have a bigger bore, but hold up better in boosted motors.

When I swap these into place, should I pick up a set of LS9 gaskets, or will I be OK with the stock 5.3L gaskets since I don't plan to do anything else to this motor?

While I'm at it - what's the input on these eBay gasket kits that have all the gaskets and the head bolts for like $120?

Thanks - Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Head Gasket Question

Look at the yr on the heads/vs gaskets? My 2000 5.3 had the notch that you see on the heads....on a 400 dollar valve job, I don't think there was any welding going? The heads were, no notch smooth / flat....yes he cut .060-.070 off my heads! Thank you "Scotty".. she burns pump fuel, idles like a stock ride, & will twist that old longhorn loose/ sideways at will....with 140 thou on the 5.3 shortblock! Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
what's the input on these eBay gasket kits that have all the gaskets and the head bolts for like $120?

Thanks - Matt
A good set of ARP head bolts costs more than $120 by itself...and they hold the two major halves of the engine together (in simplified terms obviously).
I wouldn't trust no-name hardware for anything that goes into the aluminum heads. I don't trust chinese piston rings either for that matter.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Yes, I run ARP bolts in my old ride....very expensive on top, but useable 3 or 4 times again! The flywheel/clutch hat bolts, from ARP are as cheap, as the TTY chit from the factory, & you can reuse the bolts...longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
clinebarger

"706" heads do not leak out the exhaust manifold bolt holes, The develop cracks in the head bolt bosses, Only certain "Castech" castings did that. Compared to shear numbers of 5.3L produced with "706" heads...Actual failures are rare.....

Some dimwit drilled to far to remove a broken manifold bolt...Is what happened.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
"

And broken exhaust manifold bolts are no problem to remove by welding a nut on the broken bolt and back them out. I would never try to drill and tap an aluminum head exhaust bolt. But perhaps my skill set isn't as good as others...

Seems like every engine I check out for donors has at least 2 broken and usually the rear on the driver side.
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
boostedc10

Quote:
"706" heads do not leak out the exhaust manifold bolt holes, The develop cracks in the head bolt bosses, Only certain "Castech" castings did that. Compared to shear numbers of 5.3L produced with "706" heads...Actual failures are rare.....

Cline is dead on in this thread! This is more common than a 706 head leaking, lmao!

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
OutlawDrifter

gm head bolts are fine and inexpensive, unless you intend on taking the heads on and off multiple times. then you should bite the bullet and use studs anyways.

i would use a replacement mls 5.3 gasket and call it a day.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
And broken exhaust manifold bolts are no problem to remove by welding a nut on the broken bolt and back them out. I would never try to drill and tap an aluminum head exhaust bolt. But perhaps my skill set isn't as good as others...

Seems like every engine I check out for donors has at least 2 broken and usually the rear on the driver side.
Yeah that works 99% of the time, Some break off too deep to weld on a nut.

However....I'm not the one who damaged his cylinder head, Wasn't there when it happened, But that is the only way for coolant to leak from a manifold bolt.

I would drain the coolant down, Put some Red "Gel" Loctite on the bolt, Torque it down & wait 24 hours, Refill with coolant & call it a day.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
bluex

Quote:

Hey I'm your friendly local dimwit. The leaking bolts didn't have a broken stud in them and I know how to drill out a bolt without damaging the surrounding materials. Now what happened before we got the engine I can't say but the ones I drilled out aren't leaking....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post

No tap needed just a drill bit an easy out an good penetrating oil will do the trick.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Hey I'm your friendly local dimwit. The leaking bolts didn't have a broken stud in them and I know how to drill out a bolt without damaging the surrounding materials. Now what happened before we got the engine I can't say but the ones I drilled out aren't leaking....
So you have "706" heads that are leaking coolant from manifold bolts?
Old 06-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
MattPSU

Quote:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have my doubts that a "dimwit" drilled too far into the head. There were two broken manifold bolts that my buddy (bluex) did drill out, but they aren't the one's leaking. In both cases, neither bolt was drilled all the way through, so there's no chance he drilled too deep. And afterwards, we visually inspected each hole, and there was no visible damage.

I deal with porosity issues on a regular bases. My company represents about a dozen valve manufacturers, and I've seen casting issues in just about every material valves can be made from. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure my heads are failing due to a porosity issue due to a flaw in the casting process.

Regardless, it would have been nice if you helped with my questions rather than pointed out that my evaluation was wrong. Your comments, while potentially educational, failed to help with my current issue or basis for my post.

Thanks to Br3w City & Outlaw Drifter for the helpful responses.

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 06-30-2015, 09:31 PM   #14
bluex

Quote:
So you have "706" heads that are leaking coolant from manifold bolts?
No Matt does, and I drilled the broken studs out for him when he got the engine from the salvage yard.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #15
boostedc10

Like Cline already said the 706 heads that have issues are a select batch of Castech heads and leak from the head bolt area.

I think you guys are taking the dimwit comment to heart, but more than likely "someone" maybe not you guys drilled too far. This happens all the time with these heads and isn't hard to do if you don't pay attention.

On to helping with a solution, either do what Cline said and throw some loctite on the bolts and let it dry or toss the heads and get another set. These heads are all over the place for next to nothing.

Not even worth the time discussing it much further.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #16
boostedc10

Oh and to clear it up further here is the gm tsb for the issue http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bl...t_loss_5.3.pdf

Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
bluex

What number loctitie are you guys referring to because the red I know of isnt a thread sealer and will only make future removal of the bolts even worse.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:51 PM   #18
boostedc10

http://www.henkelna.com/product-sear...=8797876748289

Old 06-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #19
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
Like Cline already said the 706 heads that have issues are a select batch of Castech heads and leak from the head bolt area.

I think you guys are taking the dimwit comment to heart, but more than likely "someone" maybe not you guys drilled too far. This happens all the time with these heads and isn't hard to do if you don't pay attention.

On to helping with a solution, either do what Cline said and throw some loctite on the bolts and let it dry or toss the heads and get another set. These heads are all over the place for next to nothing.

Not even worth the time discussing it much further.
Again, regardless of the cause of the leak, my question related to a new set of heads that I already picked up. Therefore, the comments related to the cause of the leaks, suggestions for fixing the leaks, and name calling were all unnecessary. Even your last post, boosted, suggests that I do what I've already done.

And being that I took the new heads to the machine shop yesterday (after waiting a week for help from the forum), there's really no need to keep discussing the matter.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 PM   #20
boostedc10

What heads are at the machine shop? Also with the notch welded on the 862 you can run the LS9 gaskets. If it's not boosted you can also run the stock gaskets and be fine. That should answer your initial question. If it was me I would buy the stock ****, head gaskets and bolts.

As for why all the discussion about the leaking heads, 2 things. First was to make it clear for any future readers your leaking issue had nothing to do with the known Castech head problem, second was to give you an easy way to fix the heads you had that were leaking and for anyone else that may have drilled too far.

I think you guys took the name calling a little too personal, especially if you didn't even touch those holes lmao!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #21
clinebarger

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone.

I have my doubts that a "dimwit" drilled too far into the head. There were two broken manifold bolts that my buddy (bluex) did drill out, but they aren't the one's leaking. In both cases, neither bolt was drilled all the way through, so there's no chance he drilled too deep. And afterwards, we visually inspected each hole, and there was no visible damage.

I deal with porosity issues on a regular bases. My company represents about a dozen valve manufacturers, and I've seen casting issues in just about every material valves can be made from. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure my heads are failing due to a porosity issue due to a flaw in the casting process.

Regardless, it would have been nice if you helped with my questions rather than pointed out that my evaluation was wrong. Your comments, while potentially educational, failed to help with my current issue or basis for my post.

Thanks to Br3w City & Outlaw Drifter for the helpful responses.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I am trying to help. And save you time & money.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:14 AM   #22
clinebarger

Quote:
Again, regardless of the cause of the leak, my question related to a new set of heads that I already picked up. Therefore, the comments related to the cause of the leaks, suggestions for fixing the leaks, and name calling were all unnecessary. Even your last post, boosted, suggests that I do what I've already done.

And being that I took the new heads to the machine shop yesterday (after waiting a week for help from the forum), there's really no need to keep discussing the matter.
Man, Your taking things WAY too personal, They are leaking out of holes your buddy didn't drill, Where did the Butt Hurtfullness come from?

You got this idea that "706" heads have issues from the internet, Then made up your own hypothesis that they will & can leak from the manifold bolts due to porosity....Good, It can still be fixed with Loctite.