The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Dubnova

Underhood Firewall Insulation ?

Hey guys, Anybody ever use any of the stick on aluminized reflective heat shield type stuff on a firewall? I am wanting to try some type of it out on the firewall of my 65 build in order to keep the heat out. I have D matt on the inside along with D liner but, I have seen the reflective stuff used on the fire wall. Anybody got any pics or ideas? Thanks....
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
siggyfreud

Re: Underhood Firewall Insulation ?

Don't see why it couldn't be used, though I have never come across it. Likely it's not the finished look people are after. I plan to use something like Lizard Skin thermal paint on the firewall to help keep the cab cool.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
Dubnova

Thanks for the reply. I think I will give Heat Shield Products a call and saw what they recommend. I am going for the Resto Mod theme on my build. Ls3 Erod complete with cats and evap kit so I think the late model firewall insulation will kinda fit the build. It sure is hard to cover up that shiny new red paint
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
siggyfreud

I'm with you on that. As much as I love a clean shiny firewall I'm all about function over form. Let me know what they say, as I'd consider doing something similar to help make the truck more comfortable and functional as a daily driver.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Another forum member here that I know was telling me he didn't like the stick on heat shield stuff. His experience with it was that when it was hot, the stuff tended to move around. I don't remember which brand he was telling me about. They may not all do that. YMMV
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:05 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Don't use that stuff, it keeps heat in the engine bay. While that might sound like what you want for cab comfort, its NOT what you want for the engine.

If your trying to keep your cab cool, get the nice quality heat protective under-carpet or firewall padding. It will be like a heavy duty carpet pad with a foil/woven sheet on one side. It helps reduce felt heat and noise.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote