The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
cherokeejohn

Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive on TH350

Any one running this Over/Underdrive by Gear Vendors on a TH350? Ifso, I am wondering how well you like? how well it improves your fuel mileage?, and how it performs (on/off highway, and light duty towing)? I am considering getting one for my Daily Driver. They guarantee them for as long as you own it, and claim to be "Bulletproof". I am undecided between this and a full transmission upgrade. I already have a fresh "Summit" TH350 with a B&M shift kit in my truck that's not even broke in yet. I scored it from a guy at the scrap yard who was crushing his El Camino so his wife couldn't take it in a divorce, lol. It was right place at the right time kinda moment. I bought the trans with papers for $300 and the guy in front of me got the motor for $500 ( had i been in front of him, I would have bought them both), but fortunately i did get the trans. That's why i am considering this instead of a full trans upgrade So if anyone has any info. for me good or bad, before i spend the $$$ , please post it up! thanks
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
67swb72klb

Re: Gear Vendors Over/Underdrive on TH350

A great way to go but a little spendy
Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Doug's68SS

Name:  G2.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  50.9 KB I hear they are great but I haven't driven mine yet.
Doug's68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
cherokeejohn

that looks like it adds some serious length to your trans, Is your truck a short bed or long bed? Thank you for the pic Doug's68SS
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
kwmech

The picture is a turbo 400 with the long output length, 9'' I think
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Mike C

The GV overdrive is awesome. But for a driver, my money would be on a top shelf TH200 4R such as a BowTie overdrivies. For less than the GV you can get a deeper first gear and an overdrive with lockup converter. Move the crossmember back and reuse your driveshaft.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mike C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
Any one running this Over/Underdrive by Gear Vendors on a TH350? Ifso, I am wondering how well you like? how well it improves your fuel mileage?, and how it performs (on/off highway, and light duty towing)? I am considering getting one for my Daily Driver. They guarantee them for as long as you own it, and claim to be "Bulletproof". I am undecided between this and a full transmission upgrade. I already have a fresh "Summit" TH350 with a B&M shift kit in my truck that's not even broke in yet. I scored it from a guy at the scrap yard who was crushing his El Camino so his wife couldn't take it in a divorce, lol. It was right place at the right time kinda moment. I bought the trans with papers for $300 and the guy in front of me got the motor for $500 ( had i been in front of him, I would have bought them both), but fortunately i did get the trans. That's why i am considering this instead of a full trans upgrade So if anyone has any info. for me good or bad, before i spend the $$$ , please post it up! thanks
I had one in my 1970 CST shortbed with a TH350. It was excellent. I really enjoyed driving it. I could have done the 700R4 but I liked the idea of being able to shift it in any gear...just like the Warn overdrive in my old Jeep.

I had no complaints about the Gear Vendors unit. I installed it myself and it was easy.

I have since sold the truck and the new owner loves it too. I think it's the way to go if you can afford it....mine was $2400.00 and that was back around 2003....

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
my67c20

This really comes down to the math. How many miles do you drive in a typical day? How often and how many miles do you estimate you would be able to use the overdrive? What would be your gas savings? What would be your install cost? Why do you need to drive your truck daily? Could you invest that money into a beater with a heater? How long do you expect to keep the truck? Is changing the rear gear a better investment? I currently have the SM465 with 3:73 gears, and would love to replace the transmission with a NV4500, 700r4, or add the GV, but for the cost of the upgrade, and how little i drive it, i think i might be better off buying a new truck that gives me all the best features. Not saying that this is a bad upgrade, but sometimes it comes down to the numbers.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
chopnchaneled

I've installed a few of them for customers and they are nice, But being lazy i put a 700R4
in my shop truck. Also pull my bass boat and it gets the boat out of the water and up the ramp with no problem. Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
brad_man_72
the boat guy

I guess the best question would be why do you want overdrive? If its to save money there are cheaper options.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Mr Handy

I am working on converting from a th350 to a Muncie 465 and hope to add a gear vendors at some point in the future. The Gear Vendors splits right down the middle of the 465 and should be a really solid unit that is bomb proof.
I have wanted a stick in my truck sense I got it. I did a lot of research on a 700r or 200-4r swap and found that at the end of the day the 700 or 200 built to my specs would be north of 2k once in the truck, and the gear vendors is right around 3k. I currently have my 465 ready to drop in for under $300
At the end of the day the added expense of the GV will be stouter, and I get to shift gears.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #12
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
This really comes down to the math. How many miles do you drive in a typical day? How often and how many miles do you estimate you would be able to use the overdrive? What would be your gas savings? Not saying that this is a bad upgrade, but sometimes it comes down to the numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post
I guess the best question would be why do you want overdrive? If its to save money there are cheaper options.
These responses basically outline the cost vs savings debate that goes on with any expensive modification that's done in regards to fuel savings. Using bogus numbers, if a truck gets 14 mpg's with a th350, and 18 mpg's with an overdrive unit, your only netting a savings when it's in overdrive, and at that, only 4 extra miles per gallon. That's thousands of miles of driving, just to break even on an overdrive unit.

The most effective way to look at it, is longevity of your engine if you're constantly running at high rpms.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
cherokeejohn

These are all very good points, and questions. If I break it all down and ask myself these questions, well most i can answer some i can't and still find myself right back to the start of my very first post in this thread. I drive my truck daily. some days 10 miles, some 60+. I drive it on weekends also to various places, all requiring highway driving and some with light duty towing. Here in Maryland we are a pretty small state and we do have rural roads, but we have much more highways, and Beltways that surround our two major cites. I am about 35 miles from Baltimore, and 50 miles from D.C.with expressways connecting it all. so predominantly most of my driving is highway. As for How long I intend on keeping my truck, well like the saying goes "run it till the wheels fall off", and when that happens, I'll fix it and keep on driving her. I grew up in family owned body/paint shops, so I've had my share of "Beaters", some with heaters and some without. Cheap fixer uppers from Insurance totals and such. Out of all 30+ vehicles I've had so far, none Make me feel good like my 72 does. The smiles, thumbs up's, n wave's. The Words from others, signs of respect all also feel good as well. But when no matter what things are going on in life I can sit behind the wheel and feel a sense of peace and pride, and humbleness that to me is Priceless. My father is not with me any longer, and all growing up we fixed up allot of bikes, cars and trucks together. We both always loved and wanted to fix up a 67-72 Chevy truck, so in a way it's kind of my tribute to him. I have and ride his Harley also and I love to ride, but to me, there's just something about a father and son with a dream about a truck I also want to try and keep the truck as original as possible ( to an extent). based of the trucks SPID, so adding the GV overdrive allows to keep the TH350. I do run across some of the newer LS motor and drive-trains here and there, also through Body shop/insurance totals and such and a 5.3 with a matching newer trans would be a nice addition. Doing the upgrade make it harder for me to work on the drive-train myself though, as I am not the greatest when it comes to today's technology. I was just looking for the opinions of anyone who has logged some miles and time with the GV over/under-drive. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you as much as it does me, lol Thank you all for your input so far