The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
mygirlz55

Brake booster question

Hey people, looking for advice/pictures.
I have a 55.2 stepside with 78 Camaro front clip (LuxBlue style) and currently have it stripped down to the frame. I recently got a bunch of parts ordered in, including a frame mounted brake booster.
I'd like to mount the booster and run the brake lines prior to installing the cab.
Has anyone else got this combo (camaro clip/frame mount booster)
Any help and pics would be greatly appreciated.
mygirlz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
59chev

Re: Brake booster question

I put a 81 camaro clip in my 59 and will be running a frame mounted cpp dual master/booster. Clip is in but I haven't mounted the master cylinder/booster yet.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
mygirlz55

Guess you'll be in the same boat as me.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

I don't know how much these will help other than "it can be done". I used a semi-universal mount for a set of "B(32-34 ford)" rails and modified as needed. I didn't have the old set up on my frame when I got it but found and used the rivet holes for the pedal bracket and used that to locate the new pedal pivot/booster bracket. Welded one plate to the frame and used it to bolt the assembly to. I also had to Z my pedal arm to get the offset for the pedal in the cab and clear the clip, but I mounted mine differently than you.
Attached Images

Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
mygirlz55

Looks like I'll have to mount the cab before I can figure out the placement of the booster/pedal.
May have to weld a mounting plate to the frame.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

My 57 has a Camaro clip, with a frame mounted Booster/Master. I used a mount from Master Power Brakes, it mounted using the stock frame mounting points and the stock pedal comes through the factory hole in the floor board.
Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Here's one from CPP.
Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
59chev

I also used LuxBlue's thread as a guide when I did my clip. The stock frame bracket for the master cylinder is behind where the frame and camaro subframe are welded together. The cpp or master power brakes kits should just easily bolt in the stock location. Just make sure you get it set up for disc/drum or disc/disc depending on the application. With the cpp kit, the master cylinder and booster are the same but the proportioning block is different for the disc/drum vs disc/disc setup. I also ordered a 2lbs and 10lbs residual valves. These are needed if the master cylinder is lower than the calipers/wheel cylinders.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
OrrieG

59chevy summed it up. I made my own brackets and moved the booster/MC back so the top fill location missed the cab brace. Trap door in the cab floor is used for access. My Yukon seat brackets maintained the tilt feature for access.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #10
mygirlz55

Thanks for the responses on this.
After doing some searching online, I found instructions for the installation of the brake booster unit at CPP website (not where I purchased it from, but it's the same unit).
They have tech pages that show the install with pictures and everything required.
Also found out that I needed to purchase a new crossmember for the transmission to be able to allow the booster to fit mounted on the frame.
Sure would have been nice if Tuckers would have included this info on their website like CPP has it. Could've saved me the shipping and headaches.
Anyhow. ... Thanks again for the help.
I'll be posting some pics soon on my build progress.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
OrrieG

Mine fit fine with stock cross member, speedbumps photo shows it installed with a stock cross member, sounds like an up sale strategy to me....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
Old Crow

I put a CPP kit in a '58 truck with a 350/TH350 which retained the stock cross member
I've also put a CPP kit in a '54 with the stock 235/4 sp. drivetrain and the stock cross member.
They say it won't fit with a manual trans, but if you're using the stock 4 speed, you'll be ok. I think if you had a transmission with side linkage, you might have a minor clearance problem.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #13
mygirlz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
I put a CPP kit in a '58 truck with a 350/TH350 which retained the stock cross member
I've also put a CPP kit in a '54 with the stock 235/4 sp. drivetrain and the stock cross member.
They say it won't fit with a manual trans, but if you're using the stock 4 speed, you'll be ok. I think if you had a transmission with side linkage, you might have a minor clearance problem.
Hmmm... Maybe my crossmember isn't stock. When I have it in the frame and place the booster in the area to line up with the stock mounting holes, the crossmember is in the way.
Oh, also I didnt purchase mine from cpp, mine came from tuckers. Maybe theres a bit of difference in the length between the two.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 AM   #14
Old Crow

Here's the 2 shots I took as I was installing the booster in the '54. Sorry I didn't take a wide enough shot to show the whole thing and the back crossmember, but you get a look at the CPP assembly to compare it with yours anyway:

I dug around and I can't find any pics of the frame on the '58, and the trucks gone back to it's owner in TX, so I can't take any, but I know it was similar to the '54, except I didn't have to worry about the clutch linkage like I did on the '54.

Last edited by Old Crow; 07-05-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #15
mygirlz55

The bracket on my booster looks a bit different than the cpp booster.
Mine has 2 bolts that mount to the stock mount holes and then there are 3 other bolts that you have to drill new holes in the frame.
I'll get some pictures later this afternoon.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
Old Crow

I knew the bracket was different, but I apparently didn't take any pics of the '58 after I got the brakes mounted and before I put the cab back on. The actual booster/m/c combo looks the same as this '54, though
I still remember there being plenty of room on that truck. I also remember them saying the '54 setup wouldn't work with manual transmission, and we didn't have a bit of problem with that, either. <shrug?>