The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
cc_bob

Problem Transporting truck

I bought a truck off of Ebay that is in Fort Worth Texas (I am in Cleveland Ohio) and I have ran into a bit of a snag. The truck is a 73 C20 that comes with some extra parts which are in the bed of the truck. These parts include a set of fenders, hood, cowl piece, air conditioning parts, and 4 good tires.

I've spoken to a lot of the auto carriers and they all want the bed to be empty(due to weight and things flying out). I did find one that would ship it with fenders and hood but they had to be tied down (I would have to convice the guy I bought it from to do this) and they are higher than the rest. I'm debating whether I should just fly down there and drive it back. But I am leary of doing this because I don't know if it would make the trip without breaking down on me.

SO.... my I have a couple of questions..

Will anyone be heading this way that would be willing to haul the truck with all of the extra parts to somewhere within a few hours of me? I'd pay someone $600(maybe more) to do this.

If I drive it back is there anyone on the way that I might call for some help if I break down.

Thanks,
Bob
cc_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #2
jorgensensc

I really can't help too much, but can offer a suggestion.
1. Maybe if you ask a board member from FT. Worth would look over the truck and decide if it could make the trip.
2. You could ask the seller to take the stuff out of the back and strap it to a pallet and pay to ship the stuff seperate.

Your going to have to figure gas money and plane ticket and time to drive. Also figure parts breaking down.
It might be easier to ship the vehicle.
I personally would try and drive it. There is nothing like taking a long trip in your new truck to get to know it, but don't rush the trip, and don't push the truck hard (as much as you may want to) until your within walking distance of your house.
I would check it out for you, but I'm in Houston and that's a good 3.5 hour drive and a whole lotta gas. Sorry. Hope this helps a little.

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #3
ratrod67

I'm in Ft Worth. Let me know if I can help.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
dannyb

You might want to check out Yesterday's Tractor (http://www.ytmag.com/)...they have a 'Hauling Schedule' under the Community section in the left sidebar...might be able to find a more flexible/cheaper hauler on there...I've gotten some good response from posts on there in the past...good luck!
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 PM   #5
nu2-72

The problem with shipping is as you stated, things flying out.
Solve the problem this way. Ask the seller to buy a cheap shell and cover the bed. Or if not a show truck, fill the bed and bolt plywood over the rails.
Lots of things to figure out before buying.
I lucked out and my shipper allowed items in the bed as long as they were secured. Aux. tanks, two tailgates, some trim.
2006 Duramax Crew cab 4x4
2010 Harley Ultra Limited
2011 Harley Street Glide
nu2-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Well, I am in columbus, lat me know ahead of time if you plan on driving. Sure, this is almost home for you, but I can give you a hand if you break down or if you just need to stop for some food.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:13 PM   #7
rolson1039

my advice is change the poil on the truck when ya get there, buy some crappy tools and drive it home
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
Chevyguy111786

i am coming up to indiana in the second week of march pulling an empty car trailer. I am willing and able, let me know.
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
cc_bob

If I don't reply right away it's because of my PC at home, my memory card went bad and it keeps kocking up. 512mb ar in the mail on the way though.

Indiana would be a great help, I could drive out with my wife and have her follow me back (with tools). I am waiting to hear back from another board member that left me a PM. I'll let you know in the next day or so.
86 K20
Old 02-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #10
spencra
This, is my BOOMSTICK!

How driveable is this thing. If it runs fairly well I would say get triple A insurance (for precautionary measures), fly down there (flying is pretty cheap right now, especially one way), and drive it back. I would say to pull over every so often to give it a break and to check and make sure it's not losing any fluids.

I think you might be able to make it. Don't forget to bring a cell phone with you.

Good luck.

Got rid of my projects for now.
1980 Jeep CJ7
1998 Nissan Sentra (my car)
2001 Toyota Sienna (wife's, of course)
spencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #11
cc_bob

OOPS, I just re-read my post and realized I said the truck was a 73, it's actually a 72 C20. I wish I could type better.

Thanks again,
Bob
86 K20
Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 AM   #12
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

call u-haul rent a tow dolly...300.00 where the truck is.....set it up ahead of time....
fly there....
rent a truck from u-haul.....tow it back....will still cost less than the shipped...

what do they want ....1200.00 plus??
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:43 AM   #13
cc_bob

I went U-haul when I went to Georgia to pick up my stepside. They were horrible, I reserved a trailer and paid in advance. Trailer was supposed to be in the town I was picking the truck up in. By the end of the day I wasted about 6 hours and had to drive and additional 45 miles to get the trailer and another 45 back. Went to 3 different Uhaul places and the lights didn't work on the trailer (the ends were crimped in the plastic, not the metal tube) when I finally got one. They were not helpful or sorry in the least.

Uhaul is not going to get my business again!

The prices on shipping the truck (empty) aren't bad. Dependable auto shippers want $540 but I can't have any thing in the truck. That's where I came up with the $600 figure, it should more than cover someones costs and I would be a happy camper to have the truck and the parts too.

Thanks,
Bob
86 K20