The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
jstrong394

85 square suspension lowering kit or bags help

Been awhile since I have been on here. Was just doing a cab swap and some paint now it's turned into a frame off resto. I initially was going to do a 2.5/4 lowering kit. Then i was talking with a guy and he mentioned bags. I really don't want to much lowering than 2.5/4 but I would like the option to lowering on down when parking. Looking on advice for what to do. I looked in to porterbuilt but confused myself. I don't want to get into spending thousands to lay frame or anything just a good stance and a better ride. Any advice would be appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
jstrong394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
jstrong394

Re: 85 square suspension lowering kit or bags help

Also looking to replace the control arms. I have to replace all the ball joints anyway figured be easier to just buy new arms
Posted via Mobile Device
jstrong394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
t76turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrong394 View Post
Been awhile since I have been on here. Was just doing a cab swap and some paint now it's turned into a frame off resto. I initially was going to do a 2.5/4 lowering kit. Then i was talking with a guy and he mentioned bags. I really don't want to much lowering than 2.5/4 but I would like the option to lowering on down when parking. Looking on advice for what to do. I looked in to porterbuilt but confused myself. I don't want to get into spending thousands to lay frame or anything just a good stance and a better ride. Any advice would be appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device

There are tons and tons of threads that talk about simple air bag setups in this suspension forum. I would look there for details. But I will give you details on where I went since I started out where you are.

I have a 70 but the principals are the same. I wanted to be able to lower in parking lot, level if I had a load in the bed, or raise up if I was going up a steep driveway etc. I did not want to lay frame. My truck happened to have a cobbled together bag kit on the rear only when I purchased it. I assume to help level the truck if they had a trailer or load in bed.

I could see it was half azzed so I wanted to replace all those parts with good stuff. So I bought the porterbuilt stage 1 rear kit along with a 3 gallon tank, compressor, and Porterbuilt tank and compressor bracket that mounts under the bed in front of the rear wheels onto the frame.

In another purchase I picked up the adjustable track bar from PB, bolt in cnotch, a Accuair VU4 manifold because it does make install so much easier, and a 7 switch controller for manual control. I also upgraded from the shock relocation in the stage 1 kit to the stage 2 shock bar setup.

That's all installed and now I ordered the stage 1 front bag kit from PB plus lower tubular control arms to make for a cleaner install and slightly better alignment possibilities with the 'forward' arms. And I am doing another PB bracket plus the compressor and 3 gallon tank that will plug right into the VU4 manifold I already have installed. Waiting for all this to be delivered.

Long story short, do what you want from day one after a lot of thought. I made multiple purchases over a couple years and am still buying stuff. I am rebuying stuff too which I hate doing. But it all has a silver lining since it will all be done soon. It will ride great. I am also putting in a big block with iron heads (for now) and with the heavier weight, all I have to do is bump the pressure up a little in the front to account for it whereas if I had left the l lowering coils in front, I would be adding spacers or new heavier duty springs.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Pro Performance

t76turbo has some great info, and I agree, it is best to do some research and see what kit might work best for you. There are a lot of options out there, and would be glad to go over them with you. Most importantly, it would be best to move away from the leaf springs when going with air suspension.

I would be glad to help you with the different options and what would work best for the end result you want. Feel free to send me a PM or email.

travis@azproperformance.com

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote