The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Northern lights

cpp power steering

It appears that I am going to have to go with power steering on my '57. Keeping the straight axle. Talked to "Vance" at cpp and was told that the entire conversion setup is about $950. Anybody have experience good or bad they would lime to share regarding this setup?. Are there better conversions available?
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: cpp power steering

Which setup? they have two
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Northern lights

I didn't know that and it was not mentioned. What is the difference in the two and which one is preferred?.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

They sell a 5559PSKA which is a "power assist" kit using a hydraulic cylinder and a control valve. Its made to order and take a long time to get. This was the type used in 57 and they have a kit 4759PSK-S500 that mounts a late model steering box on the frame. With either one you need a PS pump/brackets/pulleys/ belts for what ever engine you have.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #5
Northern lights

The one I was told about would be the 4759psk-s500 then and the $950 was for everything including the pump, brackets, pulleys belts etc. Is it a well domne conversion?. Quality parts? Worth the $'s?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I don't use their parts so I can really say. Some here don't like that kit because when turned all the way it rubs on the tire or the tire rubs on the box.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:36 AM   #7
AK56

They do sell a kit that bolts up the original box position which shouldn't limit tire clearance.
I don't know anything about it. You might research it for reviews.
Not much info on their site.

Here's a link

http://www.classicperform.com/Series...eringBoxes.htm

Good luck!
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Old Crow

I just used one of the kits listed on AK56's link on my '61 F-100 shop truck. I won't bore you because it's an OT truck, but the installation wasn't that hard, and the feel of the truck is actually much better than the '58 we did with a late model Chevy box.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
OrrieG

I looked and that kit is currently $795 plus shipping. I then priced the parts available locally and found I could get the steering box, steering pump, hoses and bracket for $240.00. I have the metal to fab the two frame brackets in the shop. for the $550 difference I would drive to NAPA and buy the parts. On my truck I had all the parts from various donor rigs, only expense was a piece of 3/8" plate I did not have. A little measuring and cardboard templates and you are good to go. I have fabricated all the brackets on my truck because I just could not bring myself to pay thousands of dollars for stuff I actually enjoy making.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
qbeanie

Summit racing has that kit at a lower price. Sounds strange that summit is cheaper but it is. Type in the part number on summit site and it comes up. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I looked and that kit is currently $795 plus shipping. I then priced the parts available locally and found I could get the steering box, steering pump, hoses and bracket for $240.00. I have the metal to fab the two frame brackets in the shop. for the $550 difference I would drive to NAPA and buy the parts. On my truck I had all the parts from various donor rigs, only expense was a piece of 3/8" plate I did not have. A little measuring and cardboard templates and you are good to go. I have fabricated all the brackets on my truck because I just could not bring myself to pay thousands of dollars for stuff I actually enjoy making.
Posted via Mobile Device
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote