The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
tucsonjwt

Two mystery rain leaks

I got caught in a torrential downpour last week and pulled over in a Target parking lot to wait it out -about 20 minutes.

I have had a periodic slight leak from the top of the driver's door which would drip on to the armrest. I was planning on getting the "extra" door seal for the top of the door, but while my arm was getting dripped on I ran my finger along the bottom of the seal between the door and the seal and the dripping stopped. Maybe I just need a heavy coat of silicone spray in that area?

I also have periodic leaks in the area of the driver and passenger kick panel. The water drips off the bottom of the dash after running down from someplace higher up. I pulled off the dash pad while I was waiting out the storm and observed that the windshield seal was dry all the way around- so it is not leaking around the windshield. The insulation on the passenger side that is stuck to the back of the firewall high up was wet, but I did not want to pull all of that insulation off because I have it covered with aluminized tape to keep it in place and in one piece. I have replaced the hood hinge rubber deflector pads with LMC parts (thinner and more flexible than OEM) so those may be suspect. Any thoughts on the source of this leak? It seems to be dripping off in the same place on both the driver and passenger side.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
jhead55

Re: Two mystery rain leaks

Dash leaks might be from the cowl. My caulking in the cowl was bad. PITA to chip it out and replace but can be done with seam sealer.
jhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #3
73kay

Here is what the cab looks like without the dash frame in there. Hope that helps. I have redone a lot of my firewall with the cowl rust that tucsonjwt is talking about.
Attached Images

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

The 79 Jimmy i just stripped out.
had tin tape sealing under the windshield,and leaky kick vents
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Barbecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I got caught in a torrential downpour last week and pulled over in a Target parking lot to wait it out -about 20 minutes.

I have had a periodic slight leak from the top of the driver's door which would drip on to the armrest. I was planning on getting the "extra" door seal for the top of the door, but while my arm was getting dripped on I ran my finger along the bottom of the seal between the door and the seal and the dripping stopped. Maybe I just need a heavy coat of silicone spray in that area?
This sounds identical to a "leak" that I've got as well. I believe that it is caused by the stainless drip rain not being properly sealed to the cab. On mine, you can actually see light between the rail and the cab - water runs under the rail and rolls into the door/cab gap at the top. When washing my truck this is very noticeable. Planning on just throwing some sealant between the rail and the cab to alleviate. Have a look at your drip rail, I would bet it is not properly sealed to the cab.
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote