The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
speesh

dome light wont go out!

hmm.... my 71 burb has the dome light hanging by one wire right now, because when I put it in place (with a tie wrap.... ) it makes sparks and stays on! I have disconnected the ground wire, and when I ground the body of the light, it goes on whether the light switch is on or not. Is it my headlight switch? or what? any clues would be helpful, seems like the light is getting power when it shouldn't....
guess I could just put a toggle switch on it but I want to know what the heck is going on.....
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

You could unplug your head light switch and see if it goes out. If it does then the switch is your problem.
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 PM   #3
jorgensensc

I have a similar situation, but I know the reason why.
The door jamb on the door itself on my drivers side has a very large pushed in dent. You cannot notice this at all The only way to notice it is if you know it is not supposed to be pushed in. It almost loks like a board was there and the door got closed on a 2x4 lengthwise. The previous owner painted the truck and left it like that, so I never knew, until I went to put in a new dome light assembly. The pin switch in the drivers side will not engage the door when closed, so the dome light stays on. Needless to say I had to take the light bulb out.
So check your switches and make sure they are engaging.

By the way, does anyone know how to get the dent out withouttearing up the paint job? I thought I could push it out from the inside of the door, but there is a metal brace there that is angled. I even tried unscrewing the switch out to the lst threads, but it still didn't engage.
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #4
flip66

First thing check the head light switch and make sure its not turned all the way to the left. GM dome lights are activated by ground not power. They have constant power to them all the time the orange wire going to it is constant power and the white wire going to it is the trigger. Each of the door pins has a white wire going to them. If that white wire grounds out anywhere it will cause the dome light to stay on. A lot of times the wire will come off the back of the door pin and ground out or when you are putting back in the rocker panels you will get the white wire with a screw
flip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
Gordo

Many times I have found the source of the problem under the door sill/mat on the drivers side. The harness leading to the dome light gets pinched/corroded or damaged under there and grounds the lead to the light and causes the light to stay on. Like flip66 said, the light has constant power and is controled on and off by the ground wire.
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
tom hand
CCRider

Gordo has the most likely answer
Old 02-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
speesh

thanks for that info, that is what I needed to know. The previous owner had put the light up there with wire ties and when it moves a certain way it lights up, I guess I need to put it in the correct way and make sure there is something to insulate the body of the light from contacting the metal roof. so, no biggie!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #8
speesh

oh by the way, my burb doesn't have the light switches in the door at all, was that an option? and how hard would it be to put them in?