The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
Skunksmash

When is it time to replace the leaf springs?

Another thread I have going brought up a new question for me. When is it time to finally replace the leaf springs? I'm guessing they're still the factory leaf springs on my 87. I doubt that there was ever any need to ever replace them during its life before I bought it. Or is there?

How many miles do leaf springs need to have on them before they're done? 200k? 300k? And are there any telltale signs? Is there any way you can tell just by looking at them?
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: When is it time to replace the leaf springs?

Do they have a arch in them or are they flat?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
cadillac_al

I would only replace them if they wouldn't hold my normal loads. On my old 79, if 3 guys sat on the tailgate the rear bumper would almost hit the ground. If we had to ride over a ditch a couple guys would have to get off the tailgate. It sure rode nice though when it was empty. Soft is nice unless it won't carry the load you need to.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #4
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Do they have a arch in them or are they flat?
They don't have much of an arch, but I can't say they're flat either. Do they ever go bad from just normal wear and tear? From just normal life, not hauling all manner of stuff constantly like some people do.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Axle

Over time they will eventually sag a bit. As said earlier, if it hauls what you need without dragging its tail forget about it.

The main thing to look for is cracking in the springs at the axle where it is bolted on. Just clean it up, if there is a broken leaf you will see it.
If you need to replace them, before you unbolt, measure the thickness of the spring pack compressed. This will help determine which leaf you need if you want to maintain the ride you have or want a heavier/lighter rate as spring pack thickness is the only other measure of rate (ie: 6 leaves and 1500lb/in springs at 2-1/4" thickness, or 1750lb/in springs at 2-3/8" thickness (numbers just pulled out of thin air, but you should get the idea).

Alex.

Last edited by Axle; 07-19-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Skunksmash

Thanks for the reply! Anyone ever convert their truck to be a 3/4 ton? Would it just be a leaf spring change?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

3/4 ton trucks involve way more than springs. Bigger rear axle, bigger shocks and front springs, modified frame (I think), and I think heavier duty steering parts. Late model trucks made today have completely different frames than half tons. The Heavy Half was a beefed up 1/2 ton but still not a 3/4 ton.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #8
andrewmp6

Springs can wear out over time but most cases it takes 30 plus years.Unless you plan on hauling a lot with it all the time i wouldn't use 3/4 ton springs.1/2 ton springs are more then enough for the avg truck and if you need it you can always add helper air bags if you need them.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote