The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

4L60E Range Sensor Project

I want to try to use the factory 4l60e transmission range switch to operate a LED light series in my S10 Electric Speedo conversion (1953 AD truck)

IIRC-At present in my LS harness, I use a single wire on the range switch to indicate to the PCM that the trans is in park/neutral.

I want my trans shifter indicator to be independent of the PCM- just a stand alone setup. I am using a LOKAR floor shifter and Lokar offers a kit- but it is pricey and I just want to see if can be done with materials at hand.

Here is a pic of an extra switch I freed from the core pile and my AD converted speedo. I will have a new face decal made for the gauge when all is through. I would like to have the PRNDD21 shift indicator work in the speedo-

At present I just plan to lay this out on the workbench and move the range switch through the positions. I need to know how this switch works and if it is what signals the indicator lights.

thoughts?
Attached Images

1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 4L60E Range Sensor Project

Not sure how it work internally, but the PCM needs to be set to either P/N or PRNDL (iirc the setting says "PRnDL On/Off"). In ultra-late models, the cluster displays for this are through the BCM.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
I want to try to use the factory 4l60e transmission range switch to operate a LED light series in my S10 Electric Speedo conversion (1953 AD truck)

IIRC-At present in my LS harness, I use a single wire on the range switch to indicate to the PCM that the trans is in park/neutral.

I want my trans shifter indicator to be independent of the PCM- just a stand alone setup. I am using a LOKAR floor shifter and Lokar offers a kit- but it is pricey and I just want to see if can be done with materials at hand.

Here is a pic of an extra switch I freed from the core pile and my AD converted speedo. I will have a new face decal made for the gauge when all is through. I would like to have the PRNDD21 shift indicator work in the speedo-

At present I just plan to lay this out on the workbench and move the range switch through the positions. I need to know how this switch works and if it is what signals the indicator lights.

thoughts?
I've done what you're asking on a 4.8 swap into a Jeep YJ. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a schematic of what I built. Basically, the trans mounted PRNDL switch grounds one or more of four outputs that are referenced as A, B, C, and P in the GM wiring diagrams. Use a voltage meter to make a chart of which wire(s) are grounded in each gear. You'll find that 3 of 4 lines are all you'll need to represent the 7 gear positions. Then you just need to use a single IC to build a circuit to control LEDs for each gear. Google 3 to 8 decoder to see some examples of the circuit you'll need.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:00 AM   #4
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
I've done what you're asking on a 4.8 swap into a Jeep YJ. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a schematic of what I built. Basically, the trans mounted PRNDL switch grounds one or more of four outputs that are referenced as A, B, C, and P in the GM wiring diagrams. Use a voltage meter to make a chart of which wire(s) are grounded in each gear. You'll find that 3 of 4 lines are all you'll need to represent the 7 gear positions. Then you just need to use a single IC to build a circuit to control LEDs for each gear. Google 3 to 8 decoder to see some examples of the circuit you'll need.
Thanks. Ill work in that direction. Anyone else who can also shed more light on this by all means chime in. This isn't my strongest area
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote