The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
vince1

Box cross rail caps

If some of you are looking for an easy fix for somewhat rusted out box cross rails, I found some U channel at the building supply store.

It is galvanized 18 gauge 1 3/8" by 1/2" by 1/2" by 12'. They come in pieces advertised in the rack as 11' 11 1/2" long but when I got them home they were actually 12', so cut in half each covers two rails.

If I were to design new caps for these cross rails I couldn't think of anything better or easier. They will snap down with hand pressure and the holes can be drilled through from the underside of the original rails. Not a perfect restoration but they more than meet my standards.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
dougf

Re: Box cross rail caps

I'm about to do this but was going to use 2x2 tubing, do you know the dimensions of the original cross sills? Mine are gone... I'll have to look up what you posted, sounds like it would work great. Was the cost about the same as reproduction cross sills?
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
If some of you are looking for an easy fix for somewhat rusted out box cross rails, I found some U channel at the building supply store...
Pics?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
vince1

attached hope it works
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
vince1

The originals are 2 1/8" high, 1 1/2" across and the feet are 3/4" wide. The top cap shown is 18 ga. so maybe the originals are 16 ga.

The cap I put on will squeeze down tight but could only be considered a repair piece. Some of mine were rusted through in a few places along the top.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
vince1

I put the cross rails down and flipped the upside down box shell over onto them. Looks like the repair cap over the fourth rail is a wee bit narrow but I think it will be OK once the bed is bolted down. Back of cab and front of box are painted.

I put the center piece of plywood back in that I had in from before, just to get everything aligned and have a platform to work from. Lots more body and paint work to do next. Then I will put the outside boards in and work to the center, replacing the plywood when I get to it.