The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
jesdude7789

Re: 2005 5.3/4l60e into 1987 GMC

Time for an update.....
I did eventually get the engine and trans sitting correctly and reinstalled the original driveshaft. You HAVE to move the trans x-member back 1.25 inches if you are using the matching transmission from a newer truck (late 4L60e) in order for the original driveshaft to engage the proper distance into the tail of the trans. It's just that the trans mount position is different from the old 700r4.
I've been swamped with overtime at work for a couple months and I have been fortunate enough to have the use of another vehicle (while I pay all the insurance, maintenance, etc.) so I haven't been in as big of a hurry to finish the update to the fuel system on the 87. I plan to leave for Austin tomorrow afternoon for the holiday weekend and I'll be trying to knock that out as well as start laying the wiring harness in the engine bay and figure out where everything will end up.
jesdude7789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #27
Hart_Rod

In.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #28
jesdude7789

Got the tank dropped over the holiday weekend! Installed the higher pressure pump and used the gates barricade hose from the local oreilly with fuel injection clamps to connect between the sending unit and the filter/regulator. I took out all the dual tank stuff, the switching valve and old hard lines running on the frame. I will have the gates hose from the driver tank(20gal) to the regulator and then the russell hose with AN fittings to the engine. I used the gates stuff to the tank for now because it is readily available at most auto stores and it may get taken in and out many times and worn out faster but I may upgrade it in the future as well. I mounted the regulator on the frame about where the old switching valve was using one of the passenger tank cradle bolts already there. I had to enlarge the regulator's mounting hole a little bit for the bolt to fit through.

I don't have pictures but I also swapped a "deep sump" trans pan on that has a drain plug along with new filter and gasket. Make sure you transfer the magnet from the old pan!!
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
jesdude7789

Picked up some vacuum/heater hose fittings to adapt the LS intake to the brake booster and I have a tee fitting in there for the a/c controls and such that will be working again some day. Installed the heater hoses that go to the water pump and there is a spot on the cylinder head just above that where I was able to attach my battery ground wire. I cut down one of the a/c bracket bolts (I'm not using the LS a/c bracket anyway) in order to have a proper metric thread bolt to use that was short enough for that hole in the head. There's a pic of the filter/regulator mounted with the dorman connectors and gates barricade hose on the fuel tank side and the AN style on the other end that feeds the fuel rail. I need to get some proper fuel hose clamps to secure that to the frame. The fuel tank vent line is just laying there with a bolt plugging it for the moment until I figure out what to do with it. I'm not sure if I need to bother hooking it up to the evap canister. You can see the new trans pan I installed with drain plug for easier servicing
Attached Images