The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Squareforceone

Truck won't stay running

I replace the carb and intake on my 350 with an edelbrock performer rpm intake and a BRAND NEW street demon carb. Now I can't get the truck to run. It'll fire and start if you keep revving it it'll stay running but as soon as you let off it'll die. It's not the choke or anything like that. I thought maybe there was a vacuum leak. I don't know where it could be. All the vacuum ports on the carb are plugged. I have the vaccum advance unhooked and the ports sealed off. I just can't figure it out. Im not sure of the timing right now i thought maybe it was 180 out so I pulled the distributor out and reinstalled it. I've tried turning the distributor all over the place.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
77 Big 10

Re: Truck won't stay running

Did you try adjusting the idle circuit? Maybe the adjustment screws are in too far, if so try 3 turns out from full closed then when idling you can do the idle tune procedure.
77 Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Squareforceone

yes not 3 turns but I did adjust the mixture screws some and the curb idle screw no change..
Old 08-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
77 Big 10

If it was a tooth off it would run poorly, but if I read it right, the idle is the problem. If you are sure the manifold sealed, and all the vacuum ports are plugged on the front of the carb, the vacuum port on the manifold is plugged, or vacuum lines are hooked up to it, and they are not leaking? Second, the large vacuum line from the back of the carb for the brake booster, etc, is hooked up and also not leaking? I'd say an internal vacuum problem with the carb.
77 Big 10 is offline   Reply With Quote