The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Mr.Hyde

Linkage issues

So here's one for ya masters of column shifters my linkage is all odd. It seems backwards up and towards is 2nd and 3rd is down and towards what's going on here?

For the first little while running the truck didn't have brakes it took some pumping then they seems good? Could the brakes be in need of another bleeding?

Also another oddity is when we kill the engine it putters down for about 30 seconds then dies.

Member of tailgate association of manitoba
Mr.Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Re: Linkage issues

Its a 3spd patern just like a floor shift its just on the column
Pull back and up is reverse
Pull back and down is 1st
Push forward and up is 2nd
Push forward and down is 3rd
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

And yes when you turn the engine off it will keep running they always have just put it in reverse and let the clutch out to stop the engine ,,,
Old 08-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Mr.Hyde

I understand where the shift pattern was supposed to be but what are the lever combinations that determine gear so I can look under and make sure it's all working right? And that won't hurt anything?

Old 08-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
SS Tim

Look in section 7 of the factory service manual it will show you clutch and shift linkage adjustment and function identification.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Mr.Hyde

Looked and I see the front is second and third and the rear is 1st and reverse so does that mean when one lever is in a position the other is in neutral?

Old 08-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Mr.Hyde

Ok so I do believe I have the wrong arms connected to the wrong arm on the trans... I'm going to bleed the brakes because I went back and they were soft but firm after 2 pumps. And found an article on engine puttering down its called dieselibg or Run on so I'm guessing tuning up the carb will help.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #8
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

If you have the linkage arms installed on the wrong shifter arms on the transmission yes that will cause it to be wrong , as far as run on or DIESELING as you say ive owned and drove chevys all my life and they have always done that , I do not know of any way to fix it ,
Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM   #9
mike16

do you have a factory assembly manual? the images in that publication ar excellent. also,I dont have a parts manual but perhaps the images in there are also very good?

My service manual is a bit vague.

I always take digital pictures of any assembly befor removing it. Too little too late but I learned very quickly.

I too had problems with my master cylinder. rebuilt it twice, them in the service manual I noticed in a cut away view of the MC two very very fine holes from the pump to the reservoir. when I cleanded my MC the first time I never noticed them. the second timeI noticed them and that they were clogged up with sediment and rust.cleaned themout with a single strand of copper wire from a piece of electrical wire. lots of debris came out. cleaned here up real good and put in a new guts and the brakes work great for 4 years now.

Dont know what year your truck is but ther is an Idle cut off solonoid on the side of the carb that forces the idle butterflys to the closed possition when the truck is shut off. My factory one suffered a melt down befor I owned the truck,I replaced the seccond one for 109 bucks and watched it begin to smoke for about 2 seconds after I installed it, Proper carb, timing and fuel adjustments wil eliminate the need for a idle stop solinoid.

My 72 service manuel goes into lots of detail about pollutio controls like the abov.Contrary to myth. they are all good for milage, drivability and emitions and should not be removed simply based o thepreception that they are bad, not at all. All good when serviced and working properly.

My truck is a '72 c10 307 3 speed longbed fleet. all origonal so its cheaper to maintain in an origonal state that to hotrod or decomission factoery set up.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
Mr.Hyde

Appreciate the help, problem isy truck arrived in boxes and was scattered over miles lots of parts hunting someone took it apart and never put it together basically.

Linkage is figured out although fell out during the test drive which was you know, fun. It's a good think I was using side streets and got a helping hand pushing.

So with new information the issues are popping up as quickly as they can get fixed, this is my list and these are just the big ones

-Soft brakes
-Battery gauge is reading 18v and spitting acid
-speedometer isn't reading
-fuel gauge isn't reading

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 PM   #11
mike16

I have an origonal 72 c10 3 speed. if you need pictures pm me with contact info and I'll rassle some pics up.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote