The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Skunksmash

Correct exhaust size?

I'm looking for the stock exhaust size for my 87 r10 5.7L. Its getting pretty bad, so I'm going to replace it. I'm going to use this high flow cat (is it actually a high flow??) off of amazon. But for some reason, I was thinking the stock exhaust was 3" and not 2.5". Since its a single exhaust. Anyone see any reason I shouldn't buy this?

Amazon.com: Magnaflow 94006 Universal Catalytic... Amazon.com: Magnaflow 94006 Universal Catalytic...
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #2
Skunksmash

Re: Correct exhaust size?

bump
Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #3
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

A good muffler shop wil have adapters to weld in no problem
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
rich weyand

2.5" pipe will flow 550 cfm. A 350 at 5000 rpm can flow maximum of 500 cfm at a volumetric efficiency of 1.0, which is an unattainable ideal.

2.5" is plenty.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
rich weyand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
73kay

Rich,

How do you know this stuff? Hahaha good to know though. I have 2.5 x pipe.

1953 3100 292 T5
1985 K5 Blazer 350 700R4 208
73kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #6
slimneverdies

Rich, do you think a mild cammed 454 with headers can be hurt if 3" exhaust is installed??
slimneverdies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31 AM   #7
rich weyand

I don't really know, but I don't think so. A 3" exhaust will flow almost 800 cfm, and a 454 at 5000 rpm only flows 650 cfm, assuming an ideal volumetric efficiency of 1.

Then again, 2.5 pipe is not enough, and I think 3 is the next size up. I would use 3" on a single exhaust for a 454.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich weyand View Post
2.5" pipe will flow 550 cfm. A 350 at 5000 rpm can flow maximum of 500 cfm at a volumetric efficiency of 1.0, which is an unattainable ideal.

2.5" is plenty.
Thank you sir. Now you speaka my langua.

Can anyone tell if that is what is known as a "high flow" cat? It would seem to be higher flow than stock, but I was just curious if it fits the "high flow" idea. Doesn't really matter, its going to be a lot higher flow than my half clogged giant old dinosaur from 1987.

Last edited by Skunksmash; 08-03-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunksmash View Post
Thank you sir. Now you speaka my langua.

Can anyone tell if that is what is known as a "high flow" cat? It would seem to be higher flow than stock, but I was just curious if it fits the "high flow" idea. Doesn't really matter, its going to be a lot higher flow than my half clogged giant old dinosaur from 1987.
I'm also curious to this. I don't need them but wouldn't mind throwing them on to help with pollution and that horrible carburetor gasoline smell. But do they or don't they kill some of your performance??
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
kalbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
I'm also curious to this. I don't need them but wouldn't mind throwing them on to help with pollution and that horrible carburetor gasoline smell. But do they or don't they kill some of your performance??
If you have foul smelling exhaust, you'll overwork the cat and it'll melt down into a solid lump and plug up in one trip. A properly tuned well running engine is required if you need/want to use a cat. A modern converter has virtually no impact on performance, provided it has not been abused.

High Flow refers to the design of the catalyst. Modern converters are a honeycomb design often called "high flow". A large brick of very fine honeycomb like ceramic is impregnated with metals and minerals that act as a catalyst to speed the breakdown of gasses in the exhaust. Air flows through the honeycomb passages virtually unrestricted. Earlier designs were a large chamber full of ceramic beads impregnated with those elements and were quite restrictive. These are the wide flat converters with a plug in them where the beads were added. Often called "pancake" style.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
slimneverdies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
If you have foul smelling exhaust, you'll overwork the cat and it'll melt down into a solid lump and plug up in one trip. A properly tuned well running engine is required if you need/want to use a cat. A modern converter has virtually no impact on performance, provided it has not been abused.

High Flow refers to the design of the catalyst. Modern converters are a honeycomb design often called "high flow". A large brick of very fine honeycomb like ceramic is impregnated with metals and minerals that act as a catalyst to speed the breakdown of gasses in the exhaust. Air flows through the honeycomb passages virtually unrestricted. Earlier designs were a large chamber full of ceramic beads impregnated with those elements and were quite restrictive. These are the wide flat converters with a plug in them where the beads were added. Often called "pancake" style.
The exhaust isn't what I would call foul smelling but just that usual gasoline smell you get with carbureted cars. I always thought it had that smell because there aren't any cats installed...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
rich weyand

In 1968, the feds mandated AIR pumps, and timing was delayed so the mixture was still burning on its way into the exhaust manifold. Together with the air that was being pumped in, that burned up the extra whatevers and cleaned up the exhaust. Also helped the cats along. Unless you are going back to an AIR pump and 4* BTDC timing and ported vacuum, the cats won't clean that smell up.

1978 K10 RCSB DD.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimneverdies View Post
They'll definitely improve performance, over stock cats. "High flow" ones, that is. I don't think this is what's called a "mini cat". Or a "high flow" cat. But like he said, its a lot higher flow than the old junkers like the one I have on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
Anything that's not a straight pipe should be some hindrance to flow. I've seen the inside of the new ones and they're not a straight through flow design. Granted I don't know if its enough of a restriction to slow down the flowing gas. But it sure looks like it should.

Mine's not foul smelling either, just the exhaust fumes are quite noticeable. They just smell like normal fumes. But when you stand in the right spot, they seem a little... much. I ordered it and I'll report back if the cat helps this, I'm making a guess that it will help some. But I'm replacing it because the truck is displaying typical symptoms of an impedance in the exhaust.