The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
MikeB

reflective sunshade for 73-87?

Found a nice custom fit sunshade by Covercraft for $50, but all I want is a basic shiny foil model that comes close to fitting.

Approximate size is 72" x 26", but I can't find anything even close in stores.

Any suggestions?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: reflective sunshade for 73-87?

I ordered a custom fit sunshade from an Ebay seller and it came too small for my windshield. I got a big roll of resin paper and traced out the windshield, then cut out that as a template. I sent them the template and they made a custom fit one at no additional charge and shipped it to me. I think it was about $45.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
IdahoMan

BUMP.

Looking for a cheap windshield sun shield/shade to keep all sunlight off my dashpad.

I like the ones that the ones that can twist/fold into a pouch about the size of a Frisbee, if they make truck-sized ones. "X-Shades" look right.

What's everybody using? What fits well/tight for our trucks? Dimensions?

IM

Last edited by IdahoMan; 08-01-2015 at 05:15 PM.
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I have never seen even a custom sunshade that fit perfectly, and I have purchased several of these custom shades for different vehicles.

The only way to know for sure if a sunshade will fit tightly is to measure your windshield and compare it to what you are considering buying. You will find that they are are a little shorter/narrower than your windshield.

As mentioned above, the only tight fit I got (for the current 83) is when I sent a template made from rosin paper into the manufacturer and had one custom made.

Or, you could make one yourself out of Reflectix and sew some kind of edging on it.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
IdahoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I have never seen even a custom sunshade that fit perfectly, and I have purchased several of these custom shades for different vehicles.

The only way to know for sure if a sunshade will fit tightly is to measure your windshield and compare it to what you are considering buying. You will find that they are are a little shorter/narrower than your windshield.

As mentioned above, the only tight fit I got (for the current 83) is when I sent a template made from rosin paper into the manufacturer and had one custom made.

Or, you could make one yourself out of Reflectix and sew some kind of edging on it.
Thx.

I did a rough measure of my windshield with a yardstick. (81 Silverado) I got:

67"-70" length at bottom (some extra coverage on the edges is desirable)
20"-24" height (the shade doesn't have to reach the very top)

When looking at the "X-Shades", the sizes are too big and not long enough. What do you do about the rear-view mirror with the collapsibles anyway? I assume the fabric just bends for it, so some slack would be needed there.

tucsonjwt,

The custom shades I have seen fold like an accordion but their height stays. Do you find it difficult to store away? The reason I like the cheap little collapsibles is they go into a pouch and can be tossed under the seat.
IdahoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

I fold mine in half and leave it on the passenger side of the floor and seat. If I have a passenger I store it between the seat back and the rear wall of the cab

The folding shades have a slot cut out to fit around the rear view mirror bracket.

i don't like an ill fitting sunshade, so I spent the time and $$$ to get a correct fit. I have had it for about 10 years and it is still in good condition - in AZ desert sun. Even a sunshade which is supposed to be custom made for you truck will not fit - the manufacturers generalize the dimensions on the short side to make sure it won't be too big.

To get the right fit, you need to roll out some heavy paper (like rosin paper) on the outside of the windshield and tape it in place with blue painter's tape, then trace out the windshield perimeter. Then take the cut paper inside and make sure you like the fit on the inside of the windshield. Then make or buy a sunshade to match your template. Cut a notch for the rear view window bracket.

Last edited by tucsonjwt; 08-02-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #7
ds350

Autoheatshield.com makes one that is custom fit
ds350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
tucsonjwt

I suggest that you get the exact dimensions on any sun shade before you actually buy it. You will likely be surprised when you compare it to your actual windshield dimensions. Most likely, it will be smaller by about one inch.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #9
Chevrolado

I don't have a good one in reference to our vehicles here (yet)... however, I just wanted to vouch for the Covercraft one. It's a higher price to swallow, yes. But totally worth it in my opinion.
In sunny southern CA here, the sunshade is usually the first thing I put in a new vehicle.

I bought the folding Covercraft UVS100 shade for my 95 Tahoe. Fit perfect and was amazing (pictured down below on the right).
So I then bought one for my wife's 2000 Blazer. Again.. fit almost perfect and worked fantastic.
When I bought my 2001 4Runner.. you guessed it. Covercraft foldable sun-shield. You bet right - it fits perfect. I love it. (pictured down below on the left)
We recently sold my wifes Blazer and got her a Mazda CX9. So what did we do? Yep.. UVS100 sunshield. Bingo. Amazing fit again.

So far, I've put three cheapo $10 "one size fits all" PepBoys specials in my old K10 over the last few years and they just get eaten away and fall apart in no time. Plus their fits are awful.
That being said... when I can find a spare $50.. it's going to Covercraft. Because those things are amazing and in the random slew of vehicles I have had... they have all had a great fit and I've never had any issue with them falling apart or being a hassle. At this point, I feel like I can safely assume the UVS100 Covercraft shade for the squarebody is just as great as all the others I've owned.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
1774btcrew

Chevrolado, That looks like a really nice fit. I will be buying a Covercraft for mine when I get around to it

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Chevrolado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1774btcrew View Post
Chevrolado, That looks like a really nice fit. I will be buying a Covercraft for mine when I get around to it
Sweet. Yeah, it is. I'm telling you man.. the fit in all my vehicles has been MAYBE able to squeeze a finger in on a side. They have it spot on. I really consider them worth the money.
I will be putting one in my K10 as well.. once I have the money.

You cant tell quite as well from outside.. but you can see here on my 4Runner one, there's NO sunlight gettin around it (other than the sunlight that hits the back of the mirror)

Inside the 4Runner:

The outside of the Tahoe wasn't showing much area of direct sunlight either - then again, its not a sunny day this day. hah.