The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
t76turbo

Easy way to stagger compressors kicking on?

I have one compressor now going to a VU4 Accuair manifold. I just received my 2nd compressor (and tank, pb bracket) from Pro Performance and will be installing it all soon after I get everything back from powdercoat.

I have been thinking that the inrush of both compressors kicking on may be a lot for the wiring and alternator so I wanted to see if anyone had ideas on how to stagger the compressors? I think I read that the accuair leveling system does this automatically but I have not upgraded to that and may or may not end up doing it. So looking for a easier alternative for now.

Also interested if you have input on wiring for 2 compressors. I will end up with 1 if not 2 amps for the 4 speakers and sub. So I may end up needing to run one very large gauge wire back to the back of the cab and split off to the amps and compressors.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
t76turbo

Re: Easy way to stagger compressors kicking on?

Anybody have an idea or think it isn't anything to worry about?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
clemsonteg

You should be able to pick up an adjustable time delay relay for 12v DC. I imagine you will be running 2 relays, 1 for each compressor. You can have 12v go from your pressure switch to 1 relay and through the time delay to the second relay. when each relay closes, it would provide power from the battery to each compressor.

I'm not sure if you need something like that, but that is how I would do it if it were me.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t76turbo View Post
Anybody have an idea or think it isn't anything to worry about?
I would recommend trying it out at first to see if it actually causes a strain to the system.

If it proves to draw too many amps you can install a delay as suggested by clemsonteg

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #5
Pro Performance

Your compressors will pull 52 amps collectively when running. Of course, the more accessories running and not a high enough output alternator can cause a strain. You can get a higher output alternator, if you don't have one already, but would imagine a 100-amp will work great for most applications.

If you delay the second compressor, you aren't really utilizing the full potential of both compressors. When that second one does kick on, you are pulling the 52 amps.... and would assume just run both to begin with.

Another option, would be to wire the second compressor on a secondary switch. The pressure switch will kick both relays, but have the power feed to the second relay on a second switch. This way you can control when you want that second compressor on, depending on what other accessories you have running.

Just a few ideas, but all mentioned in this thread would work.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote