The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
SkinnyG

Load Carrying and a Flip Kit

Anyone actually carry anything with theirs?

My truck has the heavy leafs, flipped using welded-on leaf saddles, and a c-notch that cuts half the frame. I made my own shock extenders such that the extender does not hang below the rim.

I've been hauling drain rock and sand for a workshop I'm building, and I learned a few things:
  1. The stock-length shocks, despite the shock extender, bottom before the axle even gets into the notch I made.
  2. 73-87 4WD front shocks can be made to fit in the back, and are much shorter. I'm actually a bit concerned that they do not provide enough droop travel with the shock extenders. They are valved just fine.
  3. 1700lbs of material (came out the scoop a bit fast) sets the box right on top of the pumpkin. That was.... interesting. Still seemed to ride ok....
  4. I made a board that I lean up against the rear wheel, with a painted mark at 2'. This tells the loader operator when to stop loading (when the fender edge is 2' off the ground).

What has been your experience?

Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Load Carrying and a Flip Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Anyone actually carry anything with theirs?

My truck has the heavy leafs, flipped using welded-on leaf saddles, and a c-notch that cuts half the frame. I made my own shock extenders such that the extender does not hang below the rim.

I've been hauling drain rock and sand for a workshop I'm building, and I learned a few things:
  1. The stock-length shocks, despite the shock extender, bottom before the axle even gets into the notch I made.
  2. 73-87 4WD front shocks can be made to fit in the back, and are much shorter. I'm actually a bit concerned that they do not provide enough droop travel with the shock extenders. They are valved just fine.
  3. 1700lbs of material (came out the scoop a bit fast) sets the box right on top of the pumpkin. That was.... interesting. Still seemed to ride ok....
  4. I made a board that I lean up against the rear wheel, with a painted mark at 2'. This tells the loader operator when to stop loading (when the fender edge is 2' off the ground).

What has been your experience?
Very similar for my 74 back in the day (although I never did quite that much weight). My rear set-up was bolt-in c-notches from Western Chassis, flip kit for the HD leaf set-up, Bell tech drop shackles, & 4wd front shocks coupled w/the rear shock extenders.

I did carry 2 complete front frame 'clips' for the 73-87 C10's that were cut off @ the firewall from FtWorth to Dallas. That's when I determined a simple manual fill AOL set-up would be beneficial. It made quite the difference to prevent the rear from squatting excessively. I believe board member Jonboy hauled a 'full' pallet of sod & just added minimal air psi to haul it w/o issue.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Rich84

The most I ever carried was 800lbs of hardwood. New drop shocks, new light duty leaf springs and no C notch. Went about 50 miles without bottoming out once.
Name:  IMG_1303.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  78.2 KB
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Chaplain

Wow...
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

When we redid the floors to the house with ceramic tiles, the bed loaded down with boxes of tiles the the frame sat on the axle, luckily I only lived a 1/4 mile away and I crawled home at idle speed
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Had 1500lbs of tile in my 79 which was western chassie flip, notch+ extenders. Frame sat on the axle, tires didn't like it, but it was a 3 mile side street drive so no worries.

I regularly put two motorcycles plus generator, camping gear, tire warmers, stands, extra gas etc in the bed of my 98 which is also western chassie flip, notch and extenders. I've also had a bike in back while towing a 5000lbs trailor.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
school boy

I use helper bags with on board compressor.

school boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
lilpoindexter

I have a flip kit with no notch, and up front 2" springs and 2" spindles on my '78 short step. I am a landlord, so I am frequently moving stoves, garbage and other junk around with my truck. Today there were two of us rather fat guys inside the cab, with a stove and a few other lightweight items in the back. I was coming off a freeway offramp, the light was turning yellow, and like an ass, rather than stop, I sped up as I turned right, and then BAM the driver side tire hit the inner fenderwell, dragged a little, and steered the truck a little to the left while I made my hasty turn.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Crazy LA drivers
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post