The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
ShinyC10

Overhead console

I'm planning on building a small console to attach to the roof so I can wire up some slick buttons I got from bluewiremotorsports. I just can't think of a stealthy way to attach the console to the roof. I prefer not to have screws showing. Ideas???
ShinyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Overhead console

Not sure how you are building it but mcmaster carr has something that might work for you...check out hole plugs..pushin plugs..and panel plugs..they have all kinds of sizes.if you counterbore your holes to the right size they will just pop in the hole and hide the screws..mine already has 4 threaded holes in the roof panel and I considered doing the same thing.

Last edited by mongocanfly; 08-10-2015 at 05:45 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

If you remove the trim around the headliner you will see where the trim screws attach to the roof. You can use these screw holes or drill new ones. X2 on plastic push pins to cover countersunk screw heads. RV suppliers have a lot of different plastic or upholstered pins to cover screw heads in RV headliners.

I would consider an overhead console from a Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado from the automotive recycling center.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Super_Dave

3M makes a special acrylic high bond tape, 3M VHB, that is used for outdoor highway sign applications. I use it a lot in the sign business. If you design your console right, you can press it flush with your roof and it's not going anywhere. Just make sure you dry-run your install so you don't get all catty-wampus and have to pull it off!

Clean, strong and no holes to plug. Here is a link. You can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I am planning on attaching my body trim with it...

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=65368912

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Titomars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post

I would consider an overhead console from a Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado from the automotive recycling center.
That is what I did. I cut the console down to match the roof contour of my cab. I love it. I installed it for the map lights but the sunglasses holder turned out to be a big plus. I installed a switch for my driving lights a clock and a switch for my Holley fuel pump. I took out about 5 inches from the center one compartment section. I used the stock screw for the front mount and I used 2 screws behind one compartment door so they are unseen.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Zach079xxx

You guys got me interested.. What consoles fit or do you suggest?

How do you go about wiring it up also? I'm new to this but I'm willing to learn. Thanks fellas
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
Titomars

Mine came out of a late model Suburban, maybe mid 90's. I am not sure of the year I was only looking at ceilings not years or models. Actually what gave me the idea, In the wrecking yard there was a 75 or 76 square with one cobbled in it. a real hatchet job but I saw with some minor work I could mod one to fit like factory. So I walked the yard till I found one in very good condition.
I used 4-wire trailer wire and ran it down the drivers A-pillar which gave me all the circuits needed. there is already a batt hot lead up there for the stock dome lamp. The roof is ground. I needed an ignition lead and a park lamp lead. I wire my the driving lights to the park lamp circuit so they turn off automatically with the park lights off.

Last edited by Titomars; 08-11-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Zach079xxx

Picked up on that looks very similar to yours today, 10 bucks. Took the wiring hookup too. It's got a red and black wire. I wish I could wire it to the dome. Even if I could I have no idea how that comes off
Old 08-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Zach..not sure how your dome light is but the wiring for my 81 runs up inside the cab corner on drivers side.just reach in the cavity that you cant see in and you should find the wires..mine also had the cargo switch mounted at the top of the pillar.I wanted seperate and independent control of my dome and cargo lights so I rewired mine like I wanted...you should be able to snake a wire from there to where you want the console between the inner and outer roof panel.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #10
Zach079xxx

I'm patching into the wiring I did to provide light for my 3 gauge cluster. I did test the lights they work I changed the bulbs also and dyed the tan black. Going to install whenever. Thanks again guys, would've never thought about this idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Zach..not sure how your dome light is but the wiring for my 81 runs up inside the cab corner on drivers side.just reach in the cavity that you cant see in and you should find the wires..mine also had the cargo switch mounted at the top of the pillar.I wanted seperate and independent control of my dome and cargo lights so I rewired mine like I wanted...you should be able to snake a wire from there to where you want the console between the inner and outer roof panel.
Here's how it looked. Truck was filled to the top with chicken poop lmao

Summit box has my intake and valve cover bolts by ARP. Everything I need for my engine rebuild next week!!
Old 08-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
Zach079xxx

70 dollars later, my console is installed. 10 dollars for the console & 60 for a new toy! A dremel! I had to cut notches out inside the cab and I had no tool for that, its nice to have a dremel now too, I'll use it a lot I believe! I used 4 grinding wheels to cut out what was needed. I wired it under the headliner and down the rear pillar and up to the front. I'm pretty pleased with it, I mean I'm dealing with an old and hurting 30 year old factory head liner enough talking, heres the pictures!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #12
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Looks good zach
Old 08-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Zach079xxx

Thanks. If there's another time I'll know what to do better haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks good zach
And sorry to the person who started this, I didn't mean to jack it!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
1774btcrew

Squarebody suburbans have nice overhead consoles if you have a crewcab and want console.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote