The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
jason999

I need help with my steering column

Hello,

I have a 1966 C-10 with the front end from a 1981 Chevrolet truck. I currently have a mid to late 70's chevrolet van column.

My column will not lock in park. Basically, if you bump the shifter, it easily slides into reverse.

I would love to repair my column, but I can't find any parts............It appears that the locking mechanism is worn. I have messed with my column a lot and cant get it to work correctly. It's aggravating!

So, Im looking for a replacement column. Does anyone know what size I need? I have looked at the CPP column, but Im not opposed to repairing mine if someone knows of a source or other options.

Also, would a 1965 column fit with my newer front end setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
jason999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
WOLFMANmike

Re: I need help with my steering column

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason999 View Post
Hello,

I have a 1966 C-10 with the front end from a 1981 Chevrolet truck. I currently have a mid to late 70's chevrolet van column.

My column will not lock in park. Basically, if you bump the shifter, it easily slides into reverse.

I would love to repair my column, but I can't find any parts............It appears that the locking mechanism is worn. I have messed with my column a lot and cant get it to work correctly. It's aggravating!

So, Im looking for a replacement column. Does anyone know what size I need? I have looked at the CPP column, but Im not opposed to repairing mine if someone knows of a source or other options.

Thanks,
Jason
i would say get a universal IDIDIT steering column ... on steering columns dont buy CCP or other cheap made ones they are very dangerous . the use plastic parts in the columns . it may be a bit more money for the ididit but the peace of mind and safety is PRICELESS Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 PM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Jason
a very good friend of mine here showed me this and now im passing this on to you please read the whole thing. it could save your life and your trucks life http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...ng_Columns.pdf
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: I need help with my steering column

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks,
Jason
Yours may be too far worn on the locking mechanism, but often a really good cleaning and lube will let it fall into place--ALL THE WAY--and lock securely. Don't spend big bucks before trying small-coin-cost-lube first!

As far as "Also, would a 1965 column fit with my newer front end setup?", that answer is YES--with some slight mods. But you'd miss some detents for the extra gear(s)you most likely have: NOT THE BEST solution.

If yours does not have tilt function, I'd try to find a similar model column that DOES have tilt, as it makes seat choices much wider, not to mention its functional enjoyment, and would directly interchange with what you already have.
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-17-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added info
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:11 PM   #5
jason999

I have cleaned and lubed mine but there is a problem with a worn part. If I could find parts, I would likely attempt a repair. As it is, I may look at repair or a rebuild of my current column.

Ive researched a little and it seems $350 is the going rate for a rebuild.

Does anyone know a source for parts?

I cant find a repair option around Knoxville, so I guess I would have to ship it, if I go that route.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
vince1

How much does Pick n Pull charge in your area? If you want to save the money you might find a decent one there or the parts you need. But then again, even the new ones to us like 70's or 80's are becoming rare and may be hard to find.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
jason999

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
How much does Pick n Pull charge in your area? If you want to save the money you might find a decent one there or the parts you need. But then again, even the new ones to us like 70's or 80's are becoming rare and may be hard to find.
Yes... Ive looked for a van column like mine and can't find one around here. They do have a couple on ebay, but they want $200-$300 and they probably arent better than mine.

I can't believe that I have had so many problems finding parts for mine.....