The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
brap999

Bad front wheel bearings?

When I grab my front tire from the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position, i can shake it back and forth. If I do it from the 3 o'clock and and 9 o'clock position I can not shake it. This happens on both front wheels. It's not much play but Its noticeable.

The wheels spin freely, and there is no noticeable noises. I also have a vibration while driving around 2k rpm. I had someone shake the wheel while i was under the truck to see if I could see anything moving, and I didn't see any movement other than the wheel.

Would this be a sign of bad wheel bearings, or should I be looking at something else?

I should also add that about 2 years ago I replaced both upper and lower ball joints.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1-1LE
It's never too early to beef up my obituary
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
jdl71

Re: Bad front wheel bearings?

I know you said you replaced them but that sounds more like ball joints to me. I don't see why both wheel bearings would only be bad in one direction. I guess you could pop the cap off and remove the nut and washer on one side and see if there is something obvious.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
brap999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
I know you said you replaced them but that sounds more like ball joints to me. I don't see why both wheel bearings would only be bad in one direction. I guess you could pop the cap off and remove the nut and washer on one side and see if there is something obvious.
Thanks, I realize its not out of the realm of possibilities that the ball joints when bad again. I bought them online so who knows what the quality of them was.

The vibration isn't too bad, and the only reason I'm dealing with this is that when I took my truck to get inspected he noticed it and told me I needed to have it fixed.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
jdl71

If they fail an MVI here they give the specific part or reason. I don't know about VA, but did the inspector say what needed fixed or just something like "slopiness in front end"?

64 C10

66 K20
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #5
brap999

Quote:
If they fail an MVI here they give the specific part or reason. I don't know about VA, but did the inspector say what needed fixed or just something like "slopiness in front end"?
He took me in the shop, shook the tire and showed me it had play. Then he proceeded to tell me he thought the control arm was loose, but he wasn't sure. It just had to be fixed.

He didn't take time to investigate it. When I got home I did investigate it and the control arm is clearly not loose. Like I said when I had someone shake the wheel I couldn't see movement at all outside of the wheel its self. Then I decided to test the other wheel and it was doing the same thing.

Something else I should add, the previous owner cut the front springs to lower it so when I hit a big bump or pot hole the truck bottoms out. I don't know how this effects things like the bearings or ball joints, but maybe over the past 2 years this could be enough to cause either one of them to go bad?
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
jdl71

I just dont get how a wheel bearing would only be bad up and down and not side to side, but if the wheel is the only thing that appears to move I'm not sure what else it could be. You're sure the control arm bushings aren't worn out? You don't see any movement there or at the ball joints?

64 C10

66 K20
Old 08-18-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
brap999

Quote:
I just dont get how a wheel bearing would only be bad up and down and not side to side, but if the wheel is the only thing that appears to move I'm not sure what else it could be. You're sure the control arm bushings aren't worn out? You don't see any movement there or at the ball joints?
I didn't see any movement at the ball joint, but I'll go out there tomorrow and double check. It may be so slight that I didn't see it. As for the control arm bushing I didn't see movement but I'll do a double check again because it wouldn't be the first time I've missed something. I have never replaced those bushing and who knows if they have ever been replaced at all.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. The only reason I thought it might be the wheel bearings is that it's one of the parts down there that I have not replaced since owning the truck, but if they are not the problem then I don't want to waste my time doing the work.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Last edited by brap999; 08-18-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
jdl71

Well, they are not that hard, and pretty cheap but I would like to know for sure that's whats wrong before replacing them. I don't really think they go bad as long as they are repacked every once in a while. You could jack up one wheel, take of the dust cover, remove the cotter pin, nut and washer, and then you can see the outer wheel bearing and see if it's where the play is coming from. The inner would require removing the hub, but none of it is really difficult.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #9
jtrichard

Wheel bearings would be all directions of slop ..... How are you jacking the truck up? by the cross member don't work you have to lift by the lower control arm as close as you can to the wheel then you can see where you have worn parts place a bar under the tire and lift and watch the ball joints and upper bushings
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
sambrutay

if you want to distinguish if it is wheel bearings or something else. grab wheel top and bottom and move back and fourth. do you have play? if yes, have someone apply the brakes. now repeat step one. do you still have play? if you still play your problem is else where. if play went away it is your wheel bearings.

1964 C10 SWB #Junk
1979 C10 utility #cargopants (sold)
1971 GMC Sprint (sold)
1974 GMC Grande Sierra (sold)
sambrutay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Chevy Fleetside

The wheel bearings might just need to be repacked. do a visual.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
TopFuel1966

Look to see if there is movement between the control arms and the shafts. I had one LCA that I had to replace when I rebuilt my front end account of the shaft bosses were worn oblong.

Last edited by TopFuel1966; 08-19-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote