The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
64shortbed

5.3L/4L60E swap into a 64 GMC shortbed Questions

When you put your LS/Vortec motors in and used the 63-66 factory engine mounts did you have to move them forward to the front? I have a 350 in it right now and the mounts are in the factory spots. But looking at the frame they can be moved forward looks like about an inch. I'm asking because i have a 06 5.3L DBW with 4L60E i'm going to be putting in my 64 GMC. The other question i have is did you have to modify the floor of you pickup (low hump) to make clearence for the trans? And last question is just for looks. My harness is a stock harness i'm cutting down to make stand alone harness. Where or how did you mount the computer? And ideas or help? Thanks ahead of time for the help
Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: 5.3L/4L60E swap into a 64 GMC shortbed Questions

Most of the adapter plates have some setback built in (since the LS mounts are in a slightly different place respective to the block). I put my mounts in the front holes, and when combined with the natural offset, it all ended up in the right place. Any less clearance and I'd worry about the rearmost coil packs (and ever getting to the sensors and trans dipstick back there).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
64shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Most of the adapter plates have some setback built in (since the LS mounts are in a slightly different place respective to the block). I put my mounts in the front holes, and when combined with the natural offset, it all ended up in the right place. Any less clearance and I'd worry about the rearmost coil packs (and ever getting to the sensors and trans dipstick back there).
That was my main concern. Want to make sure I can get to stuff if I have to and have room to work when needed.

Do you have the low hump floor in your truck? If so did you have any clearance issues with trans?
Posted via Mobile Device
64shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I think so (but I'm better about the LS stuff than actually knowing how my '66 was supposed to come ).

My 80e has no clearance problems at all the way its setup (just know that the big aluminum "ears" will probably need to get trimmed for header clearances, but its a minor issue). In terms of the sheetmetal/cab, nothing was modded at all.

Those v8 engine stands don't offer a ton of vertical clearance just fyi. Tho not 100% needed, we actually sectioned and flipped a portion of one of them to clear large tube primaries.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
64shortbed

Ok thanks. When i start to put it in and have any other questions i'll check back in. Thanks again.