The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
jst4fun

advice on engine combo

Ok trying to figure this out is about to drive me insane. Im building my truck as a daily driver show truck and light auto cross running. porterbuilt center section hotchkis suspension viking coilovers t56 magnum trans custom dana 60. Now to my problem can't make up my mind on motor. As I said mainly a daily driver but want good power and love big blocks. Was thinking of going with the 572/620 but dont know how reliable it will be for a daily. Fuel mileage is not a concern of mine but wondering what other peoples input might be as im almost to the starting point of this build after collecting most of my parts. So what are some ideas for power plants out there. Nelson racing is a year out as i wanted to get a 572 twin turbo daily driver engine but dont want to wait a year. any input is greatly appreciated.
jst4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Taibo
Account Suspended

Re: advice on engine combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst4fun View Post
Ok trying to figure this out is about to drive me insane. Im building my truck as a daily driver show truck and light auto cross running. porterbuilt center section hotchkis suspension viking coilovers t56 magnum trans custom dana 60. Now to my problem can't make up my mind on motor. As I said mainly a daily driver but want good power and love big blocks. Was thinking of going with the 572/620 but dont know how reliable it will be for a daily. Fuel mileage is not a concern of mine but wondering what other peoples input might be as im almost to the starting point of this build after collecting most of my parts. So what are some ideas for power plants out there. Nelson racing is a year out as i wanted to get a 572 twin turbo daily driver engine but dont want to wait a year. any input is greatly appreciated.
Just so happens I have your answer! I run a ZZ572 in my 67 stepside. It's dropped 3.5 in in front and 5 in the rear. Front and rear stabilizers and rear gas tank. That brute of a motor needs HUGE rubber to hook up so every time you stand on the gas it's going to blow the tires off. In fact, thay are the clutch that protects the rest of the drivetrain from the 650 foot-lbs of torque that monster makes. I doubt that T56 can take that motor and, if you go with the 1400 HP nelson twin turbo, I guarantee it won't. I run 4.10 rear gears with a built manual valve body turbo 400 backed up by a gear vendors overdrive. Johnny Winter built the trans and it's clutched for 1000 HP.
The local autocross guys really hate to see that truck show up at the local SCCA events because I match or beat the times of the Porsche boxsters and there isn't anything that chaps their backside more than getting their fine piece of German Engineering beaten by a 48 year old pickup truck. Especially a Chevy Pickup! Oh, the pain is just unbearable for those idiots! You can see them lying across the seats in their Porches, biting the floor mats on the passenger side.

If I built it again, though, I would use an E-Rod LS3 crate. Drops almost 300 pounds in the front and it won't plow quite so much.

Anyways, it's not any manner, shape or form of any 'daily driver' I ever had but it DOES have 15,000 miles on the clock, has never broken, has been banned at two dragstrips for breaking the 10.99 sec barrier with no roll cage---and that was with the AC on!

Come ride along for a LOOOOOONG burnout :
http://s851.photobucket.com/user/BWF...tml?sort=3&o=9
Attached Images

Last edited by Taibo; 08-25-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Taibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
Lees68GMC

What kind of Cacti are those, growing in Michigan or Minnesota Mr. Bo?
"No matter what happens, nobody gets out alive"
Lees68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I don't have a 572, but I do have a snotty 468" BBC/TREMEC tko, with 3.73's and a Detroit truetrac on a slightly narrowed 12 bolt. Pics are in the albums on my profile page if you care to see my junk . Mine is also a stepper like Mr. Taibo, and consequently almost the same color. Currently I have 335/30/18's on the back, and they give it up to that big block at nearly any speed, even doing over 60mph on the highway. As for driving mine daily, I went a little overboard on everything, but I do have hydroboost brakes and a vintage air Gen IV (all electric setup), so the 8-9" of vacuum my motor pulls doesn't really matter. There are plenty of 600-700hp 540/555/572 crate motors to choose from for trouble free, big block cruising that will pull over 10" of vacuum. If I had it to do over again, that's probably what I'd do, since my 468 is on the ragged edge of streetability, with a chokeless 950 mech. sec carb and ratty idle.

For get in it and go operation, a 540+ BB with EFI would be my move. 1400hp in a daily driver/street truck would be cool to brag about, but you'd be wasting about half that horsepower on short autocross runs and running around stoplight to stoplight. 600 or so HP is PLENTY enough to keep it interesting on the street and the track, allowing you to embarrass most vehicles at will and still having trouble-free fun.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 08-25-2015 at 03:30 PM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees68GMC View Post
What kind of Cacti are those, growing in Michigan or Minnesota Mr. Bo?
Those look like saguaro's to me. How bout you?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #6
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I don't have a 572, but I do have a snotty 468" BBC/TREMEC tko, with 3.73's and a Detroit truetrac on a slightly narrowed 12 bolt. Pics are in the albums on my profile page if you care to see my junk . Mine is also a stepper like Mr. Taibo, and consequently almost the same color. Currently I have 335/30/18's on the back, and they give it up to that big block at nearly any speed, even doing over 60mph on the highway. As for driving mine daily, I went a little overboard on everything, but I do have hydroboost brakes and a vintage air Gen IV (all electric setup), so the 8-9" of vacuum my motor pulls doesn't really matter. There are plenty of 600-700hp 540/555/572 crate motors to choose from for trouble free, big block cruising that will pull over 10" of vacuum. If I had it to do over again, that's probably what I'd do, since my 468 is on the ragged edge of streetability, with a chokeless 950 mech. sec carb and ratty idle.

For get in it and go operation, a 540+ BB with EFI would be my move. 1400hp in a daily driver/street truck would be cool to brag about, but you'd be wasting about half that horsepower on short autocross runs and running around stoplight to stoplight. 600 or so HP is PLENTY enough to keep it interesting on the street and the track, allowing you to embarrass most vehicles at will and still having trouble-free fun.
I couldn't agree more, Bossman. We both went a bit overboard in the engine department but that much HP sure is a gas to play with. I could not imagine what a twin turbo motor would be, besides too much money for a useless amount of power. As for autocross, you should give it a whirl! An ECE sway bar in front and anything you want in the back and any C10 will corner flat AND be a real embarrassment to all of those 'German Engineering' aficionados! I do like your truck! Just the right stance.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
jst4fun

thanks everyone that has given there input. here is something im thinking about doing the zz572 with the nelson racings efi manifold. or a mast lsx supercharged 900 ls motor. thoughts
jst4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Just my opinion, I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but I just can't jump on the LS bandwagon with these old trucks... Not that I don't like LS engines - I have a hopped up 5.3 in my daily. For me, Big Blocks & 67-72's just go together. Aside from the fact Nelson Racing is a premier source for engines, I don't know what kind of efi setups they offer. I do know that an eight stack EFI zz572 would look so bada$$.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taibo View Post
Just so happens I have your answer! I run a ZZ572 in my 67 stepside. It's dropped 3.5 in in front and 5 in the rear. Front and rear stabilizers and rear gas tank. That brute of a motor needs HUGE rubber to hook up so every time you stand on the gas it's going to blow the tires off. In fact, thay are the clutch that protects the rest of the drivetrain from the 650 foot-lbs of torque that monster makes. I doubt that T56 can take that motor and, if you go with the 1400 HP nelson twin turbo, I guarantee it won't. I run 4.10 rear gears with a built manual valve body turbo 400 backed up by a gear vendors overdrive. Johnny Winter built the trans and it's clutched for 1000 HP.
The local autocross guys really hate to see that truck show up at the local SCCA events because I match or beat the times of the Porsche boxsters and there isn't anything that chaps their backside more than getting their fine piece of German Engineering beaten by a 48 year old pickup truck. Especially a Chevy Pickup! Oh, the pain is just unbearable for those idiots! You can see them lying across the seats in their Porches, biting the floor mats on the passenger side.

If I built it again, though, I would use an E-Rod LS3 crate. Drops almost 300 pounds in the front and it won't plow quite so much.

Anyways, it's not any manner, shape or form of any 'daily driver' I ever had but it DOES have 15,000 miles on the clock, has never broken, has been banned at two dragstrips for breaking the 10.99 sec barrier with no roll cage---and that was with the AC on!

Come ride along for a LOOOOOONG burnout :
http://s851.photobucket.com/user/BWF...tml?sort=3&o=9
man that truck is bad!
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #10
Taibo
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
Just my opinion, I'm probably going to get beat up for this, but I just can't jump on the LS bandwagon with these old trucks... Not that I don't like LS engines - I have a hopped up 5.3 in my daily. For me, Big Blocks & 67-72's just go together. Aside from the fact Nelson Racing is a premier source for engines, I don't know what kind of efi setups they offer. I do know that an eight stack EFI zz572 would look so bada$$.
For an autocrosser an LS motor 'might' make sense but I'm with you. For just showin' off or running at the drags you can't beat a huge big block that's been put together by someone who knows what they are doing. That bumpity-bump sound from a big block with a wild cam is just such sweet music! Nelson uses a proprietary billet manifold design that is a work of art. The only thing about it is cost. Closest thing to it is a Kinsler cross ram but that's 10K without the computer.

Last edited by Taibo; 08-26-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
cooperhw

I would have to vote for the LS motor for what you are wanting to do with it. I have a LS-2/T-56 with a stage 3 SNS cam in my 67 Chevelle. I love it. I would love to do autocross with it, but my rear tires are wayyyy to big, fat, squishy, and close to the quarterpanels. I have thought about registering it in the autocross. Taking off the line and doing a solid smoky burnout to the first corner, letting off and idleing through the corner, the more smoky burnouts to the next corner. Time would be terrible but I bet I would have a huge smile on my face.
By the way, I am huge BBC fan. Had a ton of em. Have a 496 BBC/glide in my racecar. Great for straight line, but not the twisties.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote