The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Power

New guy question about subframe installation on 56

Ive been lurking for quite a while and reading as much as possible before I start my build next week. I have a 56 that I'm doing a 76 camaro subframe instal. My questions are:

If I want to center my front wheel in the fender do I add an 1" from the center of the spindle or the center of the UCA?

I also picked up a 10 bolt says its from a 70's IROC but it measures 55" backing plate to blacking plate.. What size steelies can I run out back and up front? Looking to lay it out in on bags with whitewalls.

Last is what did you use for steering column?

Next week I'm hoping to do C notch, 4 link, bags, and subframe (if my stinking parts come in) lol

Jason
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: New guy question about subframe installation on 56

I think most guys do place it slightly ahead to center the wheels in the wheel better.

This is a link to a thread over on the HAMB that Lux Blue did a few years that pretty well walks you through the swap. He has done a lot of them in his shop in Austin over the years. I'd read what he has written and study his photos and that should put you on the right track.

On the rear axle, Backing plate to backing plate measurements don't mean squat except for spring clearance. The important measurment is wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. The distance between the backing plate and the wheel mount surface can vary from axle to axle by as much as a couple of inches due to the width of brake shoes and other offsets.

Steering column, use a factory unit or spend the money for an Ididit or Flaming River column and stay away from the cheapies. This is one spot where you don't cut corners unless you are running a factory oem column to cut corners.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

You just move the axle centerline forward. You make your mark before you remove the stock suspension, then line up the centerline of the ifs however much forward you want. I think I moved mine 1.25"
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 AM   #4
1958Warrior

use the shock hole on the Camaro clip for the centerline,
this link also has a lot of good info, take lots of measurements and write them down , also helps to make a jig of the frame horns so all your sheet metal will go back on easy post #6
shown in the thread:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ht=camaro+clip

measurements should be the same weather you do it the Lux Blue way or the No Limits Way, but ride height is different
1958Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote