The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
ghinmi

Air bags for towing/hauling

Probably a unique question on here. I'm putting together a Jeep with a '71 C10 frame as a multipurpose vehicle. Want to do autocross but still be able to haul a trailer or load the back full of cargo. I built a behind the axle coilover setup and was wondering if I could mount airbags where the coil springs originally went to be used only when needed? Would it hurt them to run around with no air in them 90% of the time (letting the coilovers do all the work) and add a little when loaded to keep things level?

1977 Jeep Wagoneer 4 door
Looks stock, 83mm Bullseye turbocharged AMC 401
ghinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Air bags for towing/hauling

Running a air bag empty don't sound like a good idea to me,You could run it with like 5 psi or make them easy to remove and put them on only when you need them.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinmi View Post
Probably a unique question on here. I'm putting together a Jeep with a '71 C10 frame as a multipurpose vehicle. Want to do autocross but still be able to haul a trailer or load the back full of cargo. I built a behind the axle coilover setup and was wondering if I could mount airbags where the coil springs originally went to be used only when needed? Would it hurt them to run around with no air in them 90% of the time (letting the coilovers do all the work) and add a little when loaded to keep things level?
Been watching your build on Lat-G. As andrewmp6 mentioned, minimal psi in the bag would achieve your desired results. I would be worried about the dual spring set-up possibly messing w/your spring rates though (even w/o psi there could be an impact). Easy enough to just pop them in place when needed & use schrader valves to add air.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
chase@ridetech

You will want to keep some air in the bags. Have you considered replacing the Coilovers with a Shockwave? Then you can eliminate having the extra air spring.
chase@ridetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
ghinmi

Hmm, not what I was hoping to hear. I'll need to find something to work, may have to start calling around to companies and get their opinion. The truck is too low to get under without jacking it up so it'd be a pain to take them in and out. I looked at the shockwaves for about 30 seconds until I saw the price tag. Very nice product but I can't justify the money, especially since I already have coilovers.

1977 Jeep Wagoneer 4 door
Looks stock, 83mm Bullseye turbocharged AMC 401
ghinmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

All airbags companies I have seen require at least 5 psi to prevent them from wearing a hole into the bag because it compresses incorrectly with no air, to help keep the shape.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote