The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea?
Yes! 1 5.56%
Hell yeah! 9 50.00%
No Sam, you're way in over your head! 3 16.67%
No. Just no. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2015, 01:10 AM   #1
samtheman97

Cummins install on '52 GMC!!

Hi all,
Well I just picked up a 1952 GMC 1/2 ton for another dream project before my senior year ends and college starts. Here's what I'm aiming to do....I wanna get a 77 3/4 top Chevy frame and basically so a frame swap. Now here's why - I want to have a 24v Cummins under the hood and 4wd. I was told that a 77 engine mounts would mate up with a 24v and I figured "Why not do something different?" So here's my main question- what the hell do u do now? How does a frame swap work? Will I have to drill into the frame so the cab and front clip mount up? Will I have to cut the frame? ( the '52 is infact a long box) could I use a 6 speed manual? What should I use for a radiator? What other problems will I run into and exactly how do I get around them? I'm aiming to get this truck done by the middle of next summer. I have many resources as far as adivce goes ( you guys are my main though!) And is there anyone that has done this before?

Thank you so much! - Sam
samtheman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
2tractors

Re: Cummins install on '52 GMC!!

You got my vote Sam. Just watched a tv show called mobsteel where they put the cummins in a IH truck. I love the diesels.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
1project2many

So I'm the guy that's gotta mess up the poll?? Thanks.

Is it a wicked cool idea? Hell yeah!

Is it a good idea? Weeellll..... as a guy that knows about getting into big projects I have to advise you to figure out what you're getting into before you start. This sounds big to me especially with the questions you're asking.

Still, I don't want to be lonely floundering around in the deep end of the pool. So I voted Yes!
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
joedoh

can I be the guy that says putting in a diesel isnt really doing something different? its like dually trucks, lots of guys want them till they have them, lots of guys want diesels till they have them. unless you are building a tow rig or find a cheap complete donor, the cost of the swap is just crazy high.

if this is really what you want to do, I would find a complete ram truck and do a body swap on the ram frame rather than mixing and matching frames and mounts and rearends. a diesel redline is somewhere areound 2500 rpm, so if you use a gas rearend and normal sized tires, your top speed will be around 50mph. changing rear gears costs a lot, call the local driveline shop and price it, gears are ~350 with an install kit and setting it up will cost 500-1000. it is not something the layman should do, although it is possible. your rear carrier may not even be able to take a low numerical gearset. Make sure the driveshaft can handle the torque or it will look like a twisted birthday candle.
then there is the stuff like fuel lines and pumps and filters, all different for diesel. the motor alone weighs as much as 2 v8s, so you will want to make sure the brakes are up to snuff. the 6bt cummins is longer than most 6 cylinder engines, so you will need firewall mods.

If you have already thought about all of this, then kudos to you and go for it!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #5
mr48chev

Follow what Joedoh said in post 4.

Personally I wouldn't waste the 1/2 ton on the swap if it was nice and instead find a 1-1/2 ton with the bigger fenders and longer hood to do the cab and nose swap and find a long AD bed off a 3/4 or 1 ton to run on the back and then widen the rear fenders.

That is unless you are one of those rednecks who still thinks the tires have to stick a foot outside the fenders to show the world you have a "real mudslingin 4x4".

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
vineyard1

I put a 04 Dodge Cummins in an 05 F350 3 years ago & love it as a tow rig, but I tow up to 26,500. Those are big, long heavy engines & they are very wide at the front, across the timing case. I have been eyeing puting one in my 53 2 ton AD for several years, but haven't committed yet because of the issues. A pickup is just too light weight. Maybe a 4bt instead
vineyard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
47 Fasttoys

OK, so I voted no. I have done a few frame swaps and they are not for the faint at heart or anyone with limited experience. Some of the things you would run into are: 1. The front and rear track of the '77 are around 6" wider then the AD.
2. The '77 frame and suspension will not handle the weight or torque of the Cummins. 3. Fitting a large radiator with or with out an inter cooler will take major mods in the same area that you will need a front clip support. 4. Less then 1 year on a project of this level, doing things by yourself with the lack of a proper equipped shop (you may have this, I don't know) is a really tall order. 5. Got lots of cash? I would guess around 20K if you can do 90% of the work yourself.
Now, if you want cool factor and fast, do a LS engine with a turbo, drop it in the weeds and have a ball.
Just my 2 cents
Rob
Old 09-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
samtheman97

[size=1][i]Posted via Mobile Device[/i
Alright guys, I'm thinking alittlesmaller like a 4BT? Ive been thinking about this alot and I don't think my pay check will be able to cover a swap this big. So, now I'll be lookin for advice for a 4 bt!! Thank you so much guys!!!
samtheman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
1project2many

4BT is definitely a more reasonable project. Still plenty of torque, still plenty of work to do. One advantage is that P vans could be had with the 4BT so you might be able to find a donor vehicle, frame and all required parts, for a reasonable price.

I saw a 4-53 Detroit swapped into an F300 (2WD) years ago. Neat truck. Swap include the med duty 5 spd and the steering gear as well. The truck accelerated around a slow moving vehicle as it was climbing mountains outside Sheridan,WY and twisted the driveshaft. He said he'd tried out a 4BT but he felt it shook too much in the "lightweight" Ford chassis.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
whitedog76

I'm voting no also.

The Cummins is a Beast of an engine. A 1/2 ton frame and suspension is nowhere near up to the task. A 1 ton or larger truck, would be better.

The Cummins is also tall and long. You would need a set-back firewall, custom radiator/rad support, etc...

Also, the frame on an AD truck narrows down to 24". Not an easy task to fit everything in there.

Chris
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

I voted no because if you're gonna run a diesel it oughta be a Duramax. It's a Chevy after all.

But I admit I'm biased because this is my other vehicle:

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
1project2many

I realize you're talking about a different swap now but you should check out this thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+dodge+cummins
Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
Advanced Design

Smitty put a 4bt in an AD truck. He is 48chevybagged on here. Scroll though his FB page for information on Coaltrina. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smitt...s/252838673654
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:17 AM   #14
yoshi

This just sold on UK eBay item No.131577164188
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #15
ETraugott

A friend of mine is building this one.
Attached Images

ETraugott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:42 PM   #16