The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Isaiah92260

Got a fan shroud, but....

Finallyy got a universal fan shroud for my Aluminum Radiator, and wtf.... I'm thinking that I may of done something wrong, or.... Usually in the morning my truck runs at around 165ish-175... When i was driving to work today, it was running at 180 and at idle it went up to 195, and I have a 180 TStat.im so frustrated. I'm not sure what to do, I'm not sure if I ruined my radiator by pushing those threaded plastic ties threw the cooling fins, because some of them got damaged, but I'm sure thAts the only way they are supposed to be installed, pleased help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Isaiah92260; 09-11-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Isaiah92260

Re: Got a fan shroud, but....

The shroud
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Isaiah92260

One of the mounts where it damages the fins.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Where's your fan? The fan should be at least 1/2 way past the back edge of the shroud. By having it completely inside the shroud, you actually block air flow from getting through and it will run hotter.

This looks like a inline 6 so you'll need to find the correct shroud for that. These "universal" ones are not really a good method. They are okay with a V8 as the fan sits in the right location but not for the inline 6.

Another thing, you don't have the spacer between the core support and radiator. Air will take the path of least resistance and will just go around the radiator and not through it. You need to get all the correct stuff install or a new radiator that will sit flush with the core support.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
patrickk1

To start, I dont think you understand how a thermostat works. A thermostat stay closed until what ever temp its set at (180 for yours). The purpose of this is for your engine to maintain a MINIMUM temperature. It stays closed (blocks water flow to the radiator) until it hits 180. This allows your engine to reach minimum operating temperature faster. I doubt damaging a couple fins out of the hundreds on the radiator would cause those temperate changes. What's the normal outside temp during your morning drive? What's your normal afternoon traffic temp?

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Isaiah92260

I'm thinking about replacing my radiator,,, I have a 63-66 6cyl radiator and sits on the lower rail that's closest to the engine, because the upper rail makes this champion radiator sit too high, but I have a 67 Chevy 250 I6, so shouldn't I buy a 67-71 6cyl radiator? The only thing I noticed is that those model radiators are made to sit side ways and would have to r mounted back onto the higher rail for the radiator mounts. Someone please help, I'm not sure on what to do :/

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...6cyl-1960-1966

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...6Cyl-1967-1972
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Where's your fan? The fan should be at least 1/2 way past the back edge of the shroud. By having it completely inside the shroud, you actually block air flow from getting through and it will run hotter.

This looks like a inline 6 so you'll need to find the correct shroud for that. These "universal" ones are not really a good method. They are okay with a V8 as the fan sits in the right location but not for the inline 6.

Another thing, you don't have the spacer between the core support and radiator. Air will take the path of least resistance and will just go around the radiator and not through it. You need to get all the correct stuff install or a new radiator that will sit flush with the core support.
It's all the way inside I believe, not half way that's for sure.... Hmmm :/ should I just take off the fan shroud then, by damaging the fine for the mounts, will that affect my cooking?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
To start, I dont think you understand how a thermostat works. A thermostat stay closed until what ever temp its set at (180 for yours). The purpose of this is for your engine to maintain a MINIMUM temperature. It stays closed (blocks water flow to the radiator) until it hits 180. This allows your engine to reach minimum operating temperature faster. I doubt damaging a couple fins out of the hundreds on the radiator would cause those temperate changes. What's the normal outside temp during your morning drive? What's your normal afternoon traffic temp?

Thank you for replying, it's at about 75-80F outside, and 105F outside during the afternoon.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Isaiah92260

Quote:

My Radiator sits at about an Inch from the Fan, and the shroud is a 3 inch wide shroud. Should I just cut it down ? I don't want to waste my $30 ha
Old 09-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
Isaiah92260

Quote:

What's the core support? Can you provide a picture and more info? So which radiator should I get?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

You can cut it down. You want about 1/2 of the fan blades sticking past the back edge but in all honesty, this type of shroud is a band aid fix. The correct style would be a full coverage type shroud that routes all the surface area through the shroud and fan. What you have is more like a finger guard that a real shroud.

As for a radiator, you need the correct one for the model truck you have, not the engine year. I think your problem is compounded by the fact you are missing a lot of parts.

Not the best pic and this is V8 but I think the 6's use a similar setup, you can see how there is a spacer piece next to the radiator and a full shroud.

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
Old 09-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #12
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah92260 View Post
What's the core support? Can you provide a picture and more info? So which radiator should I get?
Core support is that big metal part that runs between the fenders, that the grill, radiator and fenders attach to.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
Isaiah92260

Quote:
You can cut it down. You want about 1/2 of the fan blades sticking past the back edge but in all honesty, this type of shroud is a band aid fix. The correct style would be a full coverage type shroud that routes all the surface area through the shroud and fan. What you have is more like a finger guard that a real shroud.

As for a radiator, you need the correct one for the model truck you have, not the engine year. I think your problem is compounded by the fact you are missing a lot of parts.

Not the best pic and this is V8 but I think the 6's use a similar setup, you can see how there is a spacer piece next to the radiator and a full shroud.

Thank your for your Response, okay then I do have the correct Radiator, the P.O. Told me that this Champion Radiator sits to High on the upper Radiator Mount Rail of the Chassie, and that's why it was brought closer, , idk how I could place it back in its proper position if I can't close the hood , do you know where I can find all the proper fan shroud parts and lieces for an I6?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #14
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Core support is that big metal part that runs between the fenders, that the grill, radiator and fenders attach to.
What do the spacers look like? And where can I find them?
Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
What do the spacers look like? And where can I find them?
I haven't had a inline 6 in one of these trucks so I don't know exactly what it looks like. Hopefully someone with a 6 can post up some pics. As for finding them, you'll have to get one from another truck or fab up something similar.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
patrickk1

To the OP, Two threads from you on the same subject. Kind of annoying.

1964 GMC pickup lwb ~ My newest build!
1937 Ford Coupe ~ Custom frame, LS1, quickchange
1950 Chevrolet 3100 ~ Bagged (Sold)
1931 Chrysler Roadster ~'32 Ford Frame, Channeled 8" (Originally a 60's show car)
1967 Chevelle ~ 454 Triple Black (Sold)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS (Sold)
patrickk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #17
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #18
padresag

Quote:
then don't read them both and you'll be ok.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
padresag

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
I6 shrouds are pretty scarce.
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #20
Hx16457

I have 't been on here in a while, sorry!
Any how this is what I did.
1. Watched a few videos on making fiber glass speaker enclosures.
2. Read about (and this has been mentioned in this thread), how close the fan should be to the rad (no way for me to add a link as it was 6 plus years ago), also mentioned in this read, that the fan blades should half way out the back of the shroud.

So I mounted the rad on the lower OEM rad mounts and as luck would have it the rad was measured~1" from the fan blades!
The. I took all the measurements ( couple times ) to be sure I had it.
Used the speaker enclosure methods and build a light duty frame structure and wrapped it wit pod t-shirt material, using staple gun to hold it tightly/ secure.
I laid the fist coat of resin w/hardener on the t-material and let that dry.
Then started laying fiberglass mat w/ mixture all around the material and covering the entire wooden sub-frame. One complete layer and dry. Over and over until I was sure the structure was sound.

Once it was, I sanded it to give it a smooth finish and painted it black.
You can measure fore mounting brackets and glass those in too. Put a few screws into the wooden sub-structure first. Insuring they properly aligned with mating mounting points and glass away!
Use a mask for the dust while you sand it, and some gloves.

Build it yourself and you get one that fits perfect as your measurements!
Have fun and good luck!
Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #21
rustbucket66

ChevyMike gives good advice. I agree with everything he said.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #22
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

some pics/info here that may be helpful.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=599562
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #23
luvbowties

Smile Re: Got a fan shroud, but....

Quote:
I'm thinking about replacing my radiator,,, I have a 63-66 6cyl radiator and sits on the lower rail that's closest to the engine, because the upper rail makes this champion radiator sit too high, but I have a 67 Chevy 250 I6, so shouldn't I buy a 67-71 6cyl radiator? The only thing I noticed is that those model radiators are made to sit side ways and would have to r mounted back onto the higher rail for the radiator mounts. Someone please help, I'm not sure on what to do :/

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...6cyl-1960-1966

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...6Cyl-1967-1972
Isaaih, definitely do NOT get a rad. for 67-72--it's wider than it is tall. The year Chev went with a truck with wider rad. was in 1967! Notice the one listed for your truck--and needed for your truck--is taller than it is wide.

It will take some searching, but find a shroud listed for your 6-cyl truck. You may have to modify it, but it should either fit as is OR ELSE be quite close. Keep in mind that you already have found the proper rad. at this point. Be sure you locate a proper shroud BEFORE BUYING NEW RAD!

Measure your present radiator and compare to Champ's *2-row dimensions that is listed for YOUR truck with factory 6-cylinder. If it has correct dimensions, you should be able to work from here. Else, buy the *2-ROW ONE that Champ lists for your TRUCK with factory 6-cyl. engine AFTER locating proper shroud. Then work from there.

*I am convinced the 2-row, with its wider rows, cools adequately for your needs. I wouldn't be surprised to find out in a test lab that it actually cools better than the 3-row. My 1st purchase for '64 w/v-8 was a 3-row, and it cooled fine for a year or better. When I had a chance to sell it & recover my cost, I sold it & bought what I thought was a prettier, still Champion, 2-row. Using the same everything else, including t'stat AND rad. cap, it cooled exactly the same as the earlier 3-row that had the narrower rows. At the time, the 2-row was even a bit cheaper; I have no idea about their relative costs at present.

**BEFORE you spend anything, have someone check your temps with an infra-red tester to determine the accuracy of your gauge. (Inlet to water pump & eng.--cooled down coolant-- is thru bottom hose; outlet from engine & into rad.--heated up coolant--is thru top hose & into rad.) Else, being v-e-r-r-y careful, measure the actual top-tank temp(which should be equal to top hose temp AND equal to gauge temp)in your rad. using a cooking thermometer--they are very cheap at the grocery store. Be sure and buy one with an extended probe to reach down into rad.

All the above statements are based on my opinions and recalled experiences. Good luck to you and your decisions.
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 09-12-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correction
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:30 AM   #24
WOLFMANmike

i just bought a new champion radiator and fan shroud kit for my truck . so looking at the pic in yours i looks like its not the right radiator for your truck . yours looks to thin on the width part and also the way it looks mounted with a bent home made bracket also tells me somthing isent right . mine has its own flange brackets tig welded to the side of it thats # 1 #2 i tried to do a cheap half shroud like you have . they dont work . this one should just be chalked up to lesson learned . i know it sucks like i said ive been there with that shroud . ok # 3 go to http://www.championradiators.com/Che...roud-1960-1962 you will note that they dont sell a engine specific radiator as in for a inline 6 or a v8 they work for both they cool by HP .. now it does look like in the pic your missing the 2 triangular parts that bolt to your main core support that is bad you will need those as they direct the wind flow through your hood into the radiator they can be gotten through after market places like lmc and so on here is what they look like http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-61-62-63-...-/351295851435 # 4 the general rule on fan shrouds is you want at leaste 75 % of your radiator being cooled by the fan that means at least 75 % of your radiator needs to be covered by the shroud i know that if you feel your radiator is the right one and its doing a well enough job and has no leaks then you can also just buy champions aluminum fan shroud alone and it will give you the full coverage you need aswell .. i hope this helps you and happy truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote