The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
Blue666(2)

A re introduction

Hello All, I've been the proud owner of of a 66 C10 short bed fleetside since 2001. I had been on the board earlier as Blue666 but in trying to change my password & email at the same time, I have ended up with a new idenity. Kind of like a witness protection program.

The truck was my daily driver until 2007 but has been down for major repairs since then. The economy & life in general caused the truck to be put on the back burner until recently.

Prior to 2007, I had upgraded to disc brakes, lowered the front 3 inches, changed over from auto to 3 spd overdrive. I'm currently working to fix rust, install new wiring harness, improve general driveability and install TBI. I had also done headlight relays, electric fan and LED rear lights.

I started work on my truck while living & working near Reading, PA; kept up with the board while working in Afghanistan & Iraq and when I returned stateside but commuted home on weekends.

I've learned a lot watching your builds and seeing real professionals and other very skilled individuals do this work. My efforts will emulate your work, I only hope to be half as succssful.

Attached is a picture of my truck in 2006 or so and during my current rust repair on the driver side cowl. All advice or points are greatly apprcieated.

Thanks,

Blue666(2)
Attached Images

Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: A re introduction

Welcome back!
It looks like you have made some very smart upgrades to your '66 that will make it a very nice truck. How big of a project do you have planned for the rust repair? You will find that while you're doing the repairs you will really start to question what GM was thinking when they designed our cabs. It's like they were doomed to rust out from the start, with the shape of the floors and the odd cowl drain system. I still love 'em, though!

So, are you done with the Iraq/Afghanistan stuff, or are you heading back to the Sandbox? I've spent a lot of time in that region as a contractor, but I'm done with all of that now.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Blue666(2)

Thanks, I agree, I doubt it was intentional but Chevy did create areas that could do nothing but rust. I'm workiing on rust issues in both cowls, both rockers, corners of both doors, bottoms of both front fenders and the radiator support. Nothing as bad as some I have seen here but it still needs fixin.

Two pics of the driver side cowl repair. 1st shows how bad it was; hole near the windshield, the seam under the cowl was fully seperated and the seam to the fire wall was seperated. I cut out the rust and welded in a few patch panels. I'm also learning metal forming, welding and grinding. My welding is a C- but I have learned that big giant globs do not make it stronger. I also picked up the trick to use a thin grinder wheel & only remove the weld and not panel.

I was in the sandbox from 7/09 until 4/12 coming home every 90 days for two weeks. It was an adventure, enjoyed working with most of our military from all branches (there are bone heads in all organizations) but don't plan to go back. Where did you work? We may have been at the same bases.
Attached Images

Blue666(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
duallyjams

Nice that you kept it and waited until you could get back to it verses selling it and wishing you didn't.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Bomp

Glad to see you're wanting to learn metal work.
A skill you will never regret knowing.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Mathew21

Welcome back
Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome back

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote