The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
superfly66

Pinion Seal Leak After Rebuild!!?? Help!

I had help getting my rear end rebuilt by an experience guy. And I dont doubt his abilities but, its slinging oil from the pinion seal...I'm pretty sure. Where else would it come from? Its not coming from the diff. cover. Its slinging all under the bed. I'm going to get under it this weekend. While I had the rear end out I put in all new lowering springs, shocks, front and back and lowering blocks on the rear as well. I watched the guy who rebuilt it put a new pinion seal on it. But its slinging it not dripping...
superfly66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
ob1monkey

Re: Pinion Seal Leak After Rebuild!!?? Help!

it could be creeping up the splines and out from behind the washer and nut. i had a it happen to me. i smeared a little black rtv on the splines and under the washer and it solved the leak from the pinion.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
superfly66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1monkey View Post
it could be creeping up the splines and out from behind the washer and nut. i had a it happen to me. i smeared a little black rtv on the splines and under the washer and it solved the leak from the pinion.
Thanks! I am definately going to try that next. I mean it is slinging it, would that come from a bad seal? Not sure where else it could come from. Surely it couldnt come out the vent in that vast amount!?? And I have read a bunch on here about torque specs and how to tight that nut needs to be. And they were all mixed answers. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
ob1monkey

i was worried about the torque also, i was told to just make sure the same amount of threads where showing and make it snug since the crush sleeve was already set. mine was dripping also but that was due to the pinion angle being almost flat(due to lowering). I actually just took the nut and washer off and smeared some in there. then when i built my next one i did the splines also. If you pinion angle is proper then the fluid should not drip due to it pointing upward, however when it spins the fluid could creep up. i doubt it would spew that much out the vent unless you grossly overfilled it. it could be the seal, but highly doubt full, you can change it while you have the yoke loose if it makes you feel better.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
superfly66

Quote:
i was worried about the torque also, i was told to just make sure the same amount of threads where showing and make it snug since the crush sleeve was already set. mine was dripping also but that was due to the pinion angle being almost flat(due to lowering). I actually just took the nut and washer off and smeared some in there. then when i built my next one i did the splines also. If you pinion angle is proper then the fluid should not drip due to it pointing upward, however when it spins the fluid could creep up. i doubt it would spew that much out the vent unless you grossly overfilled it. it could be the seal, but highly doubt full, you can change it while you have the yoke loose if it makes you feel better.
How do I know if the pinon angle is correct or how should it be? I lowered mine as well and maybe thats why its leaking!? (6" Front and 5" Rear) Thanks again, And I'm going to replace the seal as well for some cheap peace of mind.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
ob1monkey

it should angle up slightly, mine had bags with no c notch, so ride height was about the same, never had any issues with the angle, just the leak, but once i did the rtv trick it did not leak again. you could use an angle finder(most home improvement stores have them) and check it.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
superfly66

Quote:
it should angle up slightly, mine had bags with no c notch, so ride height was about the same, never had any issues with the angle, just the leak, but once i did the rtv trick it did not leak again. you could use an angle finder(most home improvement stores have them) and check it.
Ok, thanks! I see your in Sanford. I grew up in Longwood/Altamonte Springs. Now I live North of Atlanta.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
ob1monkey

nice, sanford, is alright would love to be back in columbus/phenix city. but the wife is from here and can't stand being far from her parents. lol my truck is gone now, replaced with a 66 panel. but you may have seen depending on when you moved to atlanta area. i daily drove it around orlando for 11 yrs.