The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
truckeroy

How low can I drop my truck with springs?

I don't plan on converting to disc brakes or 5 lugs. I just want to lower my truck the max without c notching and dropped spindles. The PO heated the coils and the rear is 4" lower, but naturally bottoms out. The front is about 2-3" lower. Can I go 3" front and 4" back with coils only? Or would 2" front/3"rear work better? Would either combo require shorter shocks and adjustable rear bar? Or can I get by without these? Thanks.
2005 GMC 1/2T short bed
truckeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
dougf

Re: How low can I drop my truck with springs?

People will have different opinions, but I generally see 3/5 spring drops as the max. Some things that will help are pan hard bar, shock relocation kit, etc... People go without these all the time but the shock effectiveness decreases with angles and the rear won't exactly be centered without the adjustable panhard bar. If your on a budget, go for it and save for the shock relocation kit and panhard bar if you feel it's needed (it will be).
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
raggedjim

I run a 4-6 on my blazer with no c-notch, no rear shock relocators, and no track bar adjustment. It will bottom out on rough train crossings if I have a couple people in the back seat. No other problems.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
akaupp

I'm running TJ springs in the rear with a 2" block and 1.5 coils cut in the front. I removed the bumpstop bracket on the lower control arms and only bottom out over big bumps.

1964 K10
1964 C10
1965 Suburban
2005 Yukon
akaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
sags

PO cut the springs on my 65 SWB fleet. When I put 2" drop spindles, the front bumper was 7.5" off the ground. Beautiful rake but the front would hit the bump stops often. Just replaced the 50 year old springs with 2/4 drop springs, shock and adjustable trac bar from CPP. Combined with the spindles, a total of 4" drop in the front with new shocks. Doesn't bottom out at all. Front bumper now 9" off the ground.
sags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
sags

PO cut the springs on my 65 SWB fleet. When I put 2" drop spindles, the front bumper was 7.5" off the ground. Beautiful rake but the front would hit the bump stops often. Just replaced the 50 year old springs with 2/4 drop springs, shock and adjustable trac bar from CPP. Combined with the spindles, a total of 4" drop in the front with new shocks. Doesn't bottom out at all. Front bumper now 9" off the ground. Oh, and I kept the 6 lugs when I converted to front disc.
sags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
forestb

I would not go any lower than 5 in the rear without notching the frame. On the front I used drop spindles and lowering coils and have a 4 inch drop. The lower control arms scrape if I go over speed bumps to quick. I don't know how low you should go using only coils in the front. You will need an adjustable panhard bar and I wold highly recommend rear shock relocaters. You might need front shock relocaters also.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote