The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Ben Dover

Question 2 Questions, Temp unit and WW pump.......

howdy all~
I need help on a couple of things on my '82 K30.

1) My windshield washer pump isn't working. With the engone off but the ignition on, I can't hear the pump operating. I've tried to trace the wiring with the diagram in my Chiltens, but the diagram doesn't show which wire is the pump hot lead when the button is pressed. Any ideas? I'm thinking I either need a new pump or switch, but I'd like to narrow it down before I spend the bucks.

2) I removed the aftermarket (ugh!) temp gauge and replaced the temp sending unit, but the original green lead only stretches to the carb and not to the sending unit in the thermostat elbow. Is the original location (1982 K30 W/ 454) the elbow or was it located in the rear or side of the engine somewhere? I know I have the right wire because it still had the top of an old sending unit in it.

Thanks!

Ben
Ben Dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Zilverado
Account Suspended

1) I'm not sure which wire is which, but I suggest you pick up a 12v circuit tester at your parts store (if you don't have one). The one I have is like a screwdriver with a pointy tip, a bulb in the handle and a wire with an alligator clip on the end. Unplug the pump motor wiring harness, clip the allegator clip to a good ground, and touch the pointed end of the tester on each of the wire leads (of course, the pump button needs to be activated as well). Once the light goes on, you've got the lead, and your pump is likely bad. If you can't get a light, then you'll have to start looking at the wire.

2) My temp sending unit on my '86 305 is located on the side of the block, driver's side, near the front (around the No. 1 cylinder, I think). But I think these can be in different locations, depending on the engine.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll get more help.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

My temp senders are both inbetween cylinders 1 and 3 (between the two spark plugs on the front driver's side) It screws into a hole in the waterjacket. Some trucks have a little thing that looks similar by the starter, but that is a knock sensor.

I agree with the little voltage tester, hook one onto ground, and the other onto all the leads on the bottom most wiring harness till it lights up with the wipers on a constant running setting.

BTW -- Did you ever figure that vac stuff out?

I figured mine out and I am quite willing to help you out

Last edited by Russell; 02-18-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Ben Dover

Zilverado and Russell~

Yep, I've got a tester, I keep it in the glovebox of my Ford LOL!

There are two plastic wire connectors on the pump. The one at 3 O'clock has a yellow and red lead, the one at 11 O'clock has a grey and black one.

with the ignition and wiper switch on, the yellow (3:00) lead is hot, and the black (11:00) is very dim.

With the ignition, wiper switch on and the washer button pushed, the black lead is cold and the yellow stays hot. Absolutely nuthin' from the pump.

I'm trying to figure out which lead should be hot when the button is pushed.

You were right in the Temp sending unit! It's down between the plugs. I need to get a plug to fit the thermo elbow and put the sending unit where it belongs.

Russell, I talked to the service manager at the local shop and he told me pretty much what I needed to know for now. I'll probably get back to you when I need the heater! I would have gotten back to you earlier, but I just figured out how to find my messages on the home page. I've got this board bookmarked, and never knew how to check messages until last weekend!

Ben
Old 02-18-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

No problem I'll help you out all I can if the issue arises

Glad you've got some of it figured out, but I would have to say that it sounds like your wiper motor quit, esspecially if you've got power at the leads there...

What year is your truck? I've got a assumed working wiper module from a 1976 GMC 3/4 ton that has the same (I think) wiring setup on it. I can test it out for you if you want. I was gonna put it on my truck, but the wiring was different. I got a new one for my truck and it cost about 130 bucks

I would be asking $20.00 bucks shipped, you can take your old wiper module into a local automotive shop and return it as a core and you'll get around 20 bucks for it.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
Ben Dover

Well, I've got more info~

The wiper motor and windshield washer pump are all one unit on the 78-84 model years. My wipers are a little slow, but work fine. I'm more than willing to pick up a pump rebuild kit from Chevy Duty for $9.95, possibly even a $19.95 switch, but the rebuilt motor/pump combo is 90 bucks and new is (ouch) 140 bucks.

I’ve got a favor to ask here. Could somebody with a 78-84 grab a tester and check their leads? I figure that the yellow is hot whenever the wipers/washers are going, but I need to know if the red, black or gray are hot whenever the washer button is pushed in.

Ideas?…Opinions?…Theories?....

Thanks!

Ben
Old 02-19-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Ben Dover

BTT
I need help here!
Anybody want to chine in?

Ben
Old 02-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
Zilverado
Account Suspended

I'd love to try and help more, but unfortunately my truck is parked 30 miles out of town under snow at the in-laws place. It will likely be a month or two before I bring it back into town.

It's also an '86 so the wiring may not be exactly the same.

Sorry Man, I hope you get help soon.

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote