The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
tarzandude43

51 front axle strength.

New here and relatively new to the ad trucks. My friends and i all have projects awaiting large financial contributions, so we are building this truck in the meantime for fun, as affordably as possible. The truck has a clean frame and very nice looking patina, although id prefer a little less rust in the cab corners. I have a mustang ii front suspension, an s10 chassis, a 91 firebird parts car (no motor), and a '96 suburban 2x4 with a 6.5 turbo diesel; you can see where this is going. I have no concerns about transferring the diesel and 4l80 to the old truck, my concerns are frontend weight. We would rather use the stock frame rather than the s10. Mustang ii im afraid i cant trust. Would you guys be comfortable with the stock front axle holding up? I think the motor weighs 2-300lbs more than a bbc. Thanks for any input in advance.
tarzandude43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 51 front axle strength.

I don't see a problem with the axle it's self. You may need to switch to 3/4 ton springs for the added weight and it would probably be good to switch to the roller bearing front wheel bearings.

I do question the wisdom of putting that particular engine in an AD pickup though even though you have it and the pieces. That's a lot of work and trouble to end up with a truck that isn't going to be worth that much in the end due to that particular engine being in it. If you are a drive it until it dies kind of guy that doesn't count though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
tarzandude43

In response to why, because. Actually i have about 900 bucks in the truck and sub combined, and the value of the pickup is probably parts but id hate to see it go that route. Basically for fun.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

I think the question is why not?!?
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
joedoh

the extra weight wont be a problem for the s10 frame or chassis. have two regular sized americans sit on the hood of an s10 if you dont believe me haha.

mustang II setups are so short already that you would have a little trouble getting the right springs in it but I dare say it would hold the 6.5 too. those setups are used under big block old school hot rods that weigh a lot more in full dress than what you are proposing.

make sure to use the suburban rear end to keep the gearing right, and be careful with tire sizes, dont go substantially smaller in the rear, they change the final ratio.

make sure to take a lot of well lit and magazine quality photos! or just take phone shots! keep us up to date.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The weight for a 216 is almost the same as a 6.2. 216 dressed is just under 600 lbs and a 6.2 is 650 lbs
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
joedoh

I just remembered lower50's truck has an s10 front clip and a 7.4 ford diesel. check the project forums, probably more s10 diesel guys

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
Hilljack51

You wont have a problem with the stock axle in suspension as dwcsr beat me to the punch that the 6.5 should be fairly close to the original 215 straight six.
Hilljack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
tarzandude43

Thanks for the input guys. I just didn't want to end up with something that could potentially be dangerous. My first choice would not be a 6.5 but its available, 400 lbft is fun no matter what is producing it, and its a nice exhaust note. I know some who get 20 mpg with them in 6000lb trucks. Do you guys think i can use my stock in-cab fuel tank?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
jetnow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I don't see a problem with the axle it's self. You may need to switch to 3/4 ton springs for the added weight and it would probably be good to switch to the roller bearing front wheel bearings.

I do question the wisdom of putting that particular engine in an AD pickup though even though you have it and the pieces. That's a lot of work and trouble to end up with a truck that isn't going to be worth that much in the end due to that particular engine being in it. If you are a drive it until it dies kind of guy that doesn't count though.
Actually the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton used the same springs, the axle was slightly
heavier on the 3/4 ton and of course the spindles and brakes were different.
The 3/4 ton axle was only rated a few hundred pounds more than the 1/2 ton.
The Rear springs were of course very different.
jetnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetnow1 View Post
Actually the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton used the same springs, the axle was slightly
heavier on the 3/4 ton and of course the spindles and brakes were different.
The 3/4 ton axle was only rated a few hundred pounds more than the 1/2 ton.
The Rear springs were of course very different.
Ok, I thought that I had counted leaves at one time 40 years ago when hunting springs after my truck was wrecked and there was a difference. I knew that they would bolt on in place of each other and that the axle was different.

I did look it up https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf And both springs do have a 1000 lb rating and are 8 leaf. My education for the day.

Guys have hung just about every engine available in these trucks over the years including some big Cads and Olds out of the 50's and early Hemis so the diesel shouldn't put much stress on one if it will fit in the hole without cutting the firewall away.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 09-30-2015 at 09:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
Hilljack51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzandude43 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I just didn't want to end up with something that could potentially be dangerous. My first choice would not be a 6.5 but its available, 400 lbft is fun no matter what is producing it, and its a nice exhaust note. I know some who get 20 mpg with them in 6000lb trucks. Do you guys think i can use my stock in-cab fuel tank?
You should be able to with a good flush and maybe some slight changes to the tank pickup. I used the original fuel tank in my old '84 K2500 when swapped the small block out for a Cummins, and all I did was changed the in tank sending unit and strainer for one from a 6.2 diesel. I believe the only difference was that the strainer was a little courser. I would imagine that as long as you added a good filter and water separator to the fuel circuit that you wouldn't have any issues using the OE in cab tank.
Hilljack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
1project2many

Keep in mind that the fuel will be heated as it circulates to the engine and back which is likely to cause fuel vapors to accumulate in the tank and to escape out any little opening they can find. Constant gas / diesel smell in the cab can get pretty obnoxious.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #14
tarzandude43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Keep in mind that the fuel will be heated as it circulates to the engine and back which is likely to cause fuel vapors to accumulate in the tank and to escape out any little opening they can find. Constant gas / diesel smell in the cab can get pretty obnoxious.
Good point. I would rather do it differently, but at this point just trying to do it as affordably as possible, and down the road we can improve things as we see fit.