The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
mx jim

Angry I Just Bought This Truck And I Already Broke It Help!!

Well I just bought a 1970 chevy 4x4 short bed and it was working pretty good until I broke it yesterday. What happen was I just fixed my brakes on the truck so went down the road to test them out and on my way back I thought I would put it in 4wheel drive. So I got out and locked the hubs and put it in 4wheel low and started up the road. I started to go up this one little hill and decided to go the other way so I backed down and started to go up this other road, and then something felt like it was binding when I started to move so I stopped and got out and looked underneath the truck and it seemed fine, so I drove back to my house (my house was only like 300 ft away) and when I got home I looked at my left front tire and the top of the tire was pointing in towards the engine. I jacked it up, and the wheel was moving back and forth like 5 to 6”. So I pulled the wheel and hub off and found out that I broke my spindle. What I want to no is how can you brake a spindle when all I did is go up a little hill and back down the little hill that’s all I did. So were is the best place to by a new or used spindle?? I was thinking of going to the junkyard and see if they have any front end parts for my truck. And how much do you think it is going to cost me to fix this problem????
Well thanks for any help
James

P.S. I am 18 and dont have a lot of money and i am trying to do this with out spending a hole lot. i
Old 02-20-2004, 02:37 AM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Jim, It was probably nothing you did. The truck is old and some parts will fatigue and fail at the inoportune time...like when you are taking your girlfriend out on a special date...trucks have feelings and they can get hurt...LOL! Check your local parts store or "pick-a-part". They will be harder to find since fewer 4x4's were made. Post a WTB (want to buy) on the parts board. I am use teeitup has something for you if you are looking for a used part. You may want to consider doing both sides just in case.

BTW...short 4x4's are very cool...nice acquisition. Post some pictures and welcome to the board.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:41 AM   #3
barn9
Half a bubble off!

The first thing you need to think about is that the spindle in question could be 34 years old. Parts deteriorate and wear out over time, it makes no difference if you are 18 or 88. My advice would be to use quality replacement parts rather than used or cheapo's. No matter what the cost is, your life is riding and/or dependent upon not only that spindle, but every other part of that front end. Think about it, the graveyards are full of people that didn't!

Last edited by barn9; 02-20-2004 at 02:43 AM.
barn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

all I can say is S.hit happens, could have been a bad cast and you turned while it was under load in four wheel drive and it broke, dont be so hard on yourself, if I could help I would, unfortunetly you live out in California, I know how you feel the wheel flew off my Ford cuz the damn wheel broke in half ( serves me right for driving a damn ford)

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote