The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
Atommik

Steering U-joint issue?

I've got a 51 Chevy 3100, S10 frame, 327 SBC, S10 V8 swap headers.
To get the steering shaft angle correct and to pass thru the headers, I have a u joint on the 3/4"DD steering shaft. The way the u-joint is made, the shaft goes in one end and the comes out the other with a 90 degree different turn to it. For example, if the flat side of the shaft is facing up/down on the u-joint side closest to the firewall, on the other end of the u-joint the shaft flat side is facing sides with the D portion facing up/down. This is causing my steering wheel to be 1/4 turn of center. Is this normal for using a u-joint, or could the joint be assembled incorrectly from the factory. I could probably correct this with some toe in/out alignment, but I don't want to mess up the way it drives, nice and straight even without holding the steering wheel. The steering wheel has a "key way" so taking off the steering wheel and repositioning it is not possible. Any ideas, suggestions?
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Steering U-joint issue?

stock s10 steering box? the s10 box is splined and so you can just take off the steering shaft, turn it, and reinstall it. same thing as changing the steering wheel position.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
dsraven

first, check each steering shaft from the top to the bottom to make sure all the u joints are in phase with each other on each individual shaft. any u joints that are on the same shaft need to look like the attached pic. if not the shaft can bind and/or will cause speed variations during one rev of the steering wheel. your steering will not be smooth. if it isn't right then fix that problem first.
next, centre the steering box. count the number of turns from lock to lock and then put the steering box at the half way point. so if you have 4 turns lock to lock then count out 2 turns and put the box at that number. now adjust the steering gear box so there is the proper amount of play in the gears. this is sort of important because the steering box gears actually have a tight spot built in at the mid point so the steering gets "tight" in the middle of travel-straight ahead position-and it tends to keep the vehicle going straight ahead. along with that comes the "off centre" problem where there is actually play in the gears-when not at the mid point-so the steering will seem to be loose.if the box isn't centred then there is a tendency to adjust the gears but they will not be in the "tight spot" so when they DO get to that spot they will be too tight. ok, the wheels should be straight ahead now. if not adjust them by turning the tie rod end adjusters. make sure to do the same on both sides of the vehicle, except oposite. if you turn the right side to extend the tie rods 3 turns, then on the left side you would want to shorten the tie rods by 3 turns. that will keep the alignment the same so it will still drive straight down the road like before.
next, centre the steering wheel. if there is no adjustment at the steering wheel end then make the adjustment at the steering box input. a stock S10 gear box input shaft has a spline so the u joint can be pulled back and turned so that the steering wheel is really close to centre.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
Atommik

I only have one u joint on the shaft so the phasing isn't a problem. It sounds like turning the shaft at the s10 steering box is the way to go. Thanks for your help.
Atommik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
mr48chev

That shaft is normally set so it only goes in in one spot.

I centered thousands of steering wheels during the years I did front end alignment. You turn the sleeves on the tie rods equally so that you lengthen one side and shorten the other an equal amount to center the wheel. That is how it is done in front end shops all over the world.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
dsraven

post a pic of the problem, maybe we can help
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That shaft is normally set so it only goes in in one spot.
If he still has the rag joint with the clamp type spline end that comes on s10s, he can turn it no problem. even if he eliminated the rag joint and it has a set screw type spline end, the set screw has a point and a lock nut.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote