The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

What areas are most difficult to disassemble/assemble in cab?

I'm a 53 year old beginner. Owned this truck since 1989. So easy to love these trucks.

I was hoping to get a mechanic over here. That hasn't worked out so far, but it will. I'm counting on it for the suspension, mounts, steering column, gear box, some of the firewall, some wiring, maybe a flex plate and rear main gasket. I think I can do the rest, we'll see.

At any rate, I've been tearing at it anyhow, removing everything possible while allowing it to run. At some point it's going to sleep. Everything but the engine and tranny are coming off. Taking very good notes as I go (wrote systems requirements for 10 years.........it pays off...ha!). Packaging everything up. I won't reassemble for well over a year. Surprised how much time required just to stay organized.

I've just started digging into the dash. Next up is the temp. control. Have NO idea what's behind that instrument cluster, but I'm sure it's "fun". Anyway, what are the most difficult components in the cab? All advise is appreciated.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
68bowtie

Re: What areas are most difficult to disassemble/assemble in cab?

in my opinion most parts in the cab are fairly simple and self explanatory, including the wiring. not to discount the time and effort involved. but the one thing that's really given me grief is side window installation. boy those suckers are a pain, having to take the vent windows out and hold them at funny angles, trying to keep the regulator rollers on the sliders and not chop any fingers off. barf...

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
OhioChevy

Smile Re: What areas are most difficult to disassemble/assemble in cab?

Sounds like you are doing the right thing by bagging everything up and taking notes. Just take your time with unplugging the wiring and if it has ac the ducts for the vents will probably be the most difficult things to take out with doing damage to them if you plan on using the same ducts. Take pictures, take pictures, take pictures. lol can't say that enough. I took everything out of my truck, tore it completely down for a frame off total restore. Thought it would only be about a year before I would have it finished at the most. After fighting health problems for the last few years I'm just now getting back to working on it. Again nothing really hard just take your time and good luck.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
in my opinion most parts in the cab are fairly simple and self explanatory, including the wiring. not to discount the time and effort involved. but the one thing that's really given me grief is side window installation. boy those suckers are a pain, having to take the vent windows out and hold them at funny angles, trying to keep the regulator rollers on the sliders and not chop any fingers off. barf...
Gee, I can't wait. I'm counting on the body guy to help me out. That and/or his cousins, who do windows.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 PM   #5
ekgguy

I just got through dis-assembling my cab and removing it from the frame. I too am a novice at this and I didn't find anything about the process to difficult. As you have done, bagging and tagging everything will make the reassembly a whole lot easier. I even went to far as to label each wire that I took off, where it went. I wont be reusing the wiring harness, but never know about the connectors.

Good luck on your build.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChevy View Post
Sounds like you are doing the right thing by bagging everything up and taking notes. Just take your time with unplugging the wiring and if it has ac the ducts for the vents will probably be the most difficult things to take out with doing damage to them if you plan on using the same ducts. Take pictures, take pictures, take pictures. lol can't say that enough. I took everything out of my truck, tore it completely down for a frame off total restore. Thought it would only be about a year before I would have it finished at the most. After fighting health problems for the last few years I'm just now getting back to working on it. Again nothing really hard just take your time and good luck.
Yeah, I've taken a few pictures. Mostly observations and words, which takes a lot of time. The duct including the A/C is already out. Only the what you call it housing the heater core is left. The hoses are gone. I need new. Incidentally, can't believe how many screws were missing so far, about 10%.

I'm a "little" anal about storage. Was using zip locks, but solid containers (e.g., pill bottles) keep popping up, so I only use those. My co-workers contribute. Cigarette boxes are great and they're in constant supply (ha!). The truck bed under the cap on my Tundra is full of empty containers and padding. One of the beauties of spending all your spare cash on parts and supplies are the boxes they come in. As I said, I'm a beginner. Needed a lot of tools
Old 10-02-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgguy View Post
I just got through dis-assembling my cab and removing it from the frame. I too am a novice at this and I didn't find anything about the process to difficult. As you have done, bagging and tagging everything will make the reassembly a whole lot easier. I even went to far as to label each wire that I took off, where it went. I wont be reusing the wiring harness, but never know about the connectors.

Good luck on your build.

Exactly (bolded). Same with brake lines.......Marking is a must. Good luck to you also.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Say ekgguy, how did you move the cab? Got it on a cart?

I'll likely be using man power. I hear the Cab is only 400-500 stripped. I need to build a cart at some point, out of wood I guess. At some point I'll ask about plans. The bed cart was real easy. Allows for adjustments, for body/paint.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
ekgguy

I have an old overhead chain hoist that I used to remove it. Then set it on a large furniture dolly. It rolls around the garage nicely.

I would go with the 300# estimate... I can lift it and move it by myself as I need.

Good luck with your build....

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
Old 10-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

The dash pad. Those little nuts on the back are a... well...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
scotts72heavyhalf

with 67ChevyRedneck
Old 10-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
hugger6933

I rebuild wrecks these trucks are very easy compared to the newer truck[ try stripping one of those to a shell] and they aren't that bad either it is pretty self explanatory to do. Just start taking stuff off and quit when it is stripped. your doing very well taking pic and bagging things.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
The nuts are part of the pad aren't they? I've never seen the "dark side".

These are just screwed on, right? In other words, glue would really suck.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
ARC190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekgguy View Post

Good luck on your build.
Definitely tag the wiring and as said, anything to do with the AC ducting, including the heater core box and all the fasteners in that setup.
Posted via Mobile Device
ARC190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I wonder is a furniture dolly is all I really need. Whatever I use, I need it to transport the cab in and out of a trailer at least three times, and would hope to just roll it. Can I ask the dimensions on that dolly?

Something else, seems the only way to do the bottom is to stand the cab on the firewall? You able to do that with the dolly fairly easily? Any ideas how to support the cab when it's on the firewall? Is it prone to tip over?

Tip over would be extremely extremely extremely...........extremely bad. These cabs are worth a fortune, and what a hassle.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
ekgguy

My furniture dolly is 2'x4' with 2 inch casters on it. All I am doing is rolling it around the garage. Seems to work OK for me. I move it on and off as needed so I can turn the cab whichever way I need to get at the part I am working on at that moment.

Once I get to where it is going to be right-side-up all the time, I will put it on a taller dolly to make putting the rockers and corners on easier on the back.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #17
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
The nuts are part of the pad aren't they? I've never seen the "dark side".

These are just screwed on, right? In other words, glue would really suck.
There are nuts on the inside and screws on the outside, under the front edge. If you have everything else out of the dash it isn't too bad.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #18
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
There are nuts on the inside and screws on the outside, under the front edge. If you have everything else out of the dash it isn't too bad.

LockDoc
Guess I'll see what you mean when everything is out.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:14 AM   #19
Ironangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
X's 3 on the dash pad! Nuts on the end are the worst! And get this, taking the old one out is easier than installing the new one. "Dash pad out last, in first!" You'll see!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:29 AM   #20
drewbert41

I had to lookup instructions for how to remove the headlight switch and the ignition switch. I also agree that the nuts on dash pad are a pain.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #21
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironangel View Post
X's 3 on the dash pad! Nuts on the end are the worst! And get this, taking the old one out is easier than installing the new one. "Dash pad out last, in first!" You'll see!
Yup, the ones "in the middle" aren't that bad... the ones in the corners...

I took mine out like 10 years ago. I installed a couple of the middle nuts that are easy to get to and left all the rest out. That's one of the most unnecessarily over secured part I've seen in an old truck.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote