The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
72kool

Air bags and trailing arms??

This may be better in the suspension forum, if so I apologize. I have a '72 C20 gmc with rear trailing arms and coil sorings. I am replacing the trailing arm and need new springs. I am thinking about bags instead. I tow a lot with this truck so first, is this a good idea? I don't see why it wouldn't be. Better ride qualty, adustable load stability.. Am I wrong? My second question is, what/where? I read a thread on the install but unsure where to buy them from. I want a kit that will hold up to the extra weight from towing and be suitable for a smooth ride.
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Air bags and trailing arms??

That'll work. I am considering this for my shortbed that has 4/6 drop. I don't want to ruin the frame by hacking out a c-notch, but want to be able to still use the truck and tow. Also, I can give the truck rake when I want to or go level like the 4/6 drop.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
slomotion
Old Duffer

I put a set of Air-Ride bags under my C20 years ago. The trailing arms are the ideal set up for these because they center the third member. I had to fabricate a set of top hats (spacers) because of the distance from the diff. to the frame, but I've not had any problems with the system at all. There are three things that need to be kept in mind though; You have to be aware of your ride height particularly at night because they will effect your headlight aiming. They soften the ride, but as a result of that the rear end isn't as stiff and without an anti-sway bar the truck will lean on some turns. The bags are particularly susceptible to any cuts or sparks.
I piped mine in series. This was because I have overload springs and in the case of a catastrophic failure both bags would deflate and the rear would settle on the overloads at least allowing me to get off the highway.
As far as installation is concerned, you're best bet is to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your system. That way any warranties wouldn't be voided.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
midniteblues

you could allways add the helper bags inside the springs.
then there is air shocks if you wanna deal with them.

bags are great but like said above you should have some sorta fail safe way too keep rolling if there is a problem.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Early Classic Enterprises has the perfect setup. Works awesome.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
72kool

slomotion, do you have pictures and more info on what bags you have? im wanting to use the style i can bolt right where the springs are. i have thought about using a rear sway bar anyways so that wont be an issue. i also have the rear overload springs so that is there as well. i want to run the air lines to fill ports in the bumper and adjust them my self. dont need the compressor or anything. just want to have a smooth ride and load support when needed
Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
72kool

Also would i need to get a special trac-bar or anything ? im not wanting to lower this extremely but if i wanted to run it lower to just level it, would that be an issue with everything else stock? sorry for dumb questions but im new to the air bags and lowering. usually do lifts and have only installed the load helper bags on new trucks