The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
samtheman97

Will I need a custom made driveshaft for my SM465 behind my 283?

Hi all, I recently pulled a tired 250 and 3 speed out of my 66 c10 fleetside. I replaced that with a rebuilt 283 and a SM465 4 on the floor behind it. So here's my question, will I need a different shaft? When I bought the truck my sophmore year of high school, it just came with a motor and trans, the 250 didn't have diddly squat for compression and just blew white smoke. So now being a senior in high school, I realized if I don't get to it now, I won't get to it a long while after college. I'm on a high school budget and I don't want to buy a stock driveshaft if it doesn't work. Would a shaft from a 70's 4wd Silverado work? It also has the 465 in it but then again, it has the transfer case. So I imagine that it would hinder the length. So onto the next question. Would I have to have one custom made or could I pull one out of a different truck? Could it be a one piece or does it have to be a two peice like the stock one?

Thanks!!!
Cheers- Sam
samtheman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Will I need a custom made driveshaft for my SM465 behind my 283?

If your truck is a longbed, I would stick with a 2 pc driveshaft with the HD carrier bearing. The light duty driveshafts and light duty carrier bearing won't hold up to much abuse. I would try and find a driveshaft from a '63-'66 C20 or C20 with a V8 or I6 and a 4 speed. That should be a bolt in or close to it. If you find one from a ''67-'72 with a I6 and a 4 speed, that should be close as well. A '67-'72 with a V8 and a 4 speed will be too long and need to be shortened. It is not expensive to have a driveshaft shortened. If you want to go with a single piece driveshaft on a longbed, you will have to have one made. That will cost some money. A shortbed could have come factory with a single piece driveshaft
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
MikeN

If I am not mistaken, an SM465 takes a bolt-on driveshaft yoke, NOT a slip yoke. This being the case, you must use a two-piece driveshaft as far as I know, with the slip-joint where the two pieces mate. If you have a short bed truck (which never came with a two-piece shaft as far as I know) I'm not sure what your options are for driveshaft with an SM465. I'm thinking you need a slip joint at one of the shaft or the other (or in the center of a two-piece) to allow for the rear end moving up and down in relation to the frame.

Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I already did, right above your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
MikeN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I already did, right above your post.
Yes, I saw that

But my question is, a one piece shaft won't work with an SM465, because you have to have a slip joint somewhere in the drive line, to allow for rear suspension travel, correct? And SM465's only accept a bolt-on rear yoke, not a slip yoke, unless I am mistaken.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

In the case where a trans is used with a bolt on yoke, ie: SM420, SM465, TH400, the slip joint is a part of the driveshaft. That is exactly what I have in my '66 Suburban with a TH400 that uses a bolt on yoke. In fact the driveshaft that I used came from a '70's longbed K series truck with a NP205 and I just had it shortened to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Yes, I saw that

But my question is, a one piece shaft won't work with an SM465, because you have to have a slip joint somewhere in the drive line, to allow for rear suspension travel, correct? And SM465's only accept a bolt-on rear yoke, not a slip yoke, unless I am mistaken.