The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
MacQuigley

To Patch or Replace

Been working on the front fenders of my 62.

The driver side needs a patch panel on the rear but the front is repairable.

The passenger side needs a patch panel on the rear and a new bracer but the front is I think beyond saving so needs a new front end as well.

That's approximately $150 in parts plus time. A replacement fender is $200.

Financially in my opinion it is a no brainer, get the replacement front fender, but I have been told repro parts are of poor quality.

In the UK, when Ive worked on old British car Ive always tried to go for original parts as the repro or pattern parts as we call them are often of poor quality, but this is my first American rebuild and I have nothing to base the decision on other than the fact that for an extra $50 I get a complete new wing and save myself at least a days time.

What do you guy's think? Do I patch or replace?
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Re: To Patch or Replace

Tough question- personally, I would repair.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
T.W.Dustin

Pictures? Let's see what you are starting with :-)
Old 10-14-2015, 03:12 AM   #4
MacQuigley

I'll take a updated photo when I get home this evening but this is what I found last week when I started removing the filler

The fold in the bottom right hand corner is actually a tear. The gap between the outer skin and "headlight bowel" is no longer uniform and Im not sure I can get at it to correct that.

I dont think I have the skills to repair this to a level that would be acceptable to me. So Id rather replace it. Question is do I just replace the front (and back as it needs doing as well) or do I replace the entire wing?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
mjh1965

I got replacement fenders from Brothers when they had there sale on . Then had them shipped via STS imports in Essex Ron there is very helpful as is Russel in the States . So much so that even Ian "ibrown" in County Durham used them as well . Check Brothers they always have a sale on and sometimes as much as. 65%

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

ALWAYS try to save fenders if you can. Even if you don't, there might be someone who will. The stock sheetmetal quality is unrivaled by ANY of the aftermarket parts. To me, front fenders and rear stepside fenders/flares are two of the most important things to try and save, only surpassed by original hoods.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #7
spacedebris

In my opinion, repros get an unfairly bad rap. Now repros are thinner metal than OE. But not so bad that the average person could tell without a close inspection. Also one of the most common complaints about repros is that they do not simply bolt in and line up. I've never understood that myself. I expect to have to open up bolt holes or even have to redrill new mounting bolt holes to have the fender line up the way I want. However many simply say they are poor quality if they dont bolt up perfectly out of the box. Differing opinions I guess. Also due to shipping and the typical bouncing around by careless shippers and carriers many of the edges get bent and have to be straightened before installing. So if you want no work installation, you will be disappointed in repros. However as long as you expect that you will still have to do some minor work to get them to fit right, repros are not a bad option. But then again......Opinions vary
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
In my opinion, repros get an unfairly bad rap. Now repros are thinner metal than OE. But not so bad that the average person could tell without a close inspection. Also one of the most common complaints about repros is that they do not simply bolt in and line up. I've never understood that myself. I expect to have to open up bolt holes or even have to redrill new mounting bolt holes to have the fender line up the way I want. However many simply say they are poor quality if they dont bolt up perfectly out of the box. Differing opinions I guess. Also due to shipping and the typical bouncing around by careless shippers and carriers many of the edges get bent and have to be straightened before installing. So if you want no work installation, you will be disappointed in repros. However as long as you expect that you will still have to do some minor work to get them to fit right, repros are not a bad option. But then again......Opinions vary
I totally agree with you on interior, suspension or accessories, but not panels. If it really was just opening bolt holes or shimming extra, then I'd agree. The problem as I see it is that not only is it thinner metal, its also being stamped in worn or inaccurate dies. Having to section rockers, doors, split and narrow or widen fender sections etc is waaay more than one should have to do; at that point, you might as well save it.

But truth is truth, its all opinions.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
MacQuigley

My experience in the UK, is that many repro parts suck big time! So much so that a supplier accepted back an inner wing/fender that Id welded in place only to find that several critical holes were in completely the wrong place. There was no way it could have been adapted.

It is a much smaller market here and we often have to make do with what we can get. Its not right but there are often no other options.

Anyway, back to my fenders.

This is what I found on Tuesday night when I started to work on the front of the wing

Even that photo doesn't show the tear fully

Ive not removed the filler on the outside of the rear of the wing but as you can see from the inside its pretty rotten

I can repair this but the question still stands, its going to cost about $150 for parts to repair an old wing (and I don't know for sure its an original, it could already be a repro part, though Im reasonably sure its an original part) against $200 for a complete wing.

But bearing in mind it will have to travel to Scotland there is a high probability a complete wing will get some damage where as the patch parts are less likely to be damaged being smaller.

One thing that worries me about the parch panels is the fact they may be made from a different thickness of steel. That can cause difficulty when welding them together but also possible visual differences where the edges of the panels join.

I guess at the end of the day I pays my money and takes my choices! I guess if I save $50 then that $50 I have to spend on something else that I need. The repair time is sort of insignificant in the grand scheme when I consider the other works I have to do.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
mjh1965

I ordered new fenders from Brothers had them shipped to the UK as I said earlier. I failed to mention that they were Un damaged also I did try a dry run in fitting them when I was stripping my truck down . They seemed pretty good. I have worked in the body shop business for 25 years and had patern panels to fit in the UK that were terrible. These weren't bad and a little fetling wouldn't cure l. The only other advice I would give is if you are going to do a paint job instead of the rat look RUST comes back unless you sandblast then cut it all out . Putting new paint on is expensive. And just rember Scotland is cold and wet not super hot and dry like California or Texas. Did I mention that we are in Texas right now? Ohhhhh and it is HOT.

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
MacQuigley

You may have mentioned that just once Martin! (Hope your both having a great time).

Im not going for a Rat Rod look I will be painting the truck but I will be doing it myself.

Im reasonably experienced at repairing panels but where the damage in on this wing ie right on the join is going to be very hard to repair and the fact that Im painting it if I don't get it right it will show.

Im putting a parts list together at the moment and I can leave some bits off and add others on so I decide what way to go soon.

You and Rian have a great time.

Oh and your right its is cold and wet in Scotland, 365 days of the year!