The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Transmission seems out of commission

Ok, I have a question about my 84 swb it has sat for a while without actually driving, but I would periodically start it up. Recently I had it pulled to my mom place, yesterday I put it in storage cannot afford two vehicles on the road right now.
So, here is the strange part of it, having the key turned to the on position. It will go in neutral and all gears without any issue but when trying to push the truck back to tow it, it seemed like it was still in park. What could be that cause of this? Has the transmission gone out from lack of use, there are no alarming oil spills underneath it. As always thanks in advance for any relevant advice.

84 c10 swb
305/th350 trans/4barrel carb
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
nonstop

Re: Transmission seems out of commission

Can you start it and shift into gear? Will it engage? It might be stuck parking brake issues instead. Just a thought.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #3
raceman6135
Dino burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan10 View Post
Recently I had it pulled to my mom place
Was it towed flat? If so, was the transmission put into 'Neutral' and the engine was left running? The engine needs to be running in order to run the transmission's fluid pump if the propeller shaft is spinning, otherwise the transmission will likely be damaged.

Or, was the emergency (aka parking) brake left applied at any point? It's not uncommon for drum brake shoes to "seize" on the drums after either being overheated from being left applied, or maybe, there is rust built up on the inside the drums which is causing excessive drag on the shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan10 View Post
It will go in neutral and all gears without any issue but when trying to push the truck back to tow it, it seemed like it was still in park.
Why are you pushing the truck if it starts, runs, and goes into all gears? Your sentence sounds like it will move under its own power in all 3 forward gears and also reverse gear ("It will go in neutral and all gears without any issue") This would be very unusual for the truck to be able to move on its own, yet not move at all when pushed.

Can you hear any clunking or noise, such as from a damaged/failed universal joint, or something in the differential?

Sorry, from your description, I'm having trouble determining exactly what it will and will not do, so this is all the advice I can offer for now.
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
cfan10

It was starting before but now nothing good starter, battery I think the wires were crossed when I changed the plugs and wires. Does anyone have the exact firing order on the distributor cap for a 1984 c10 305v8?
Thanks for all advice.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote