The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
cfan10

Cool Fuel pump?

Ok, the suburban started up only when I used starter fluid in the throttle body, ran for second and cut off, sprayed it again and did the same thing again. I strongly think it is the fuel pump. As always thanks for your time and advice.

It is in the shop right now because where I live I can no longer work on vehicles. So, that just seemed like the best alternative at the time. But the mechanic is going back and forth with me about doing a diagnostic test which is going to raise the cost of the bill to almost $100.
1990 gmc suburban 5.7/r700
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Fuel pump?

not to be rude, but did you post this in the wrong section 1973 - 1987
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
wilkin250r

It's definitely a fuel-delivery problem. But 1990 is almost certainly some sort of fuel injection (probably Throttle Body Injection, commonly called TBI). The fuel delivery problem can be anywhere in the pump, lines, or electronics (wiring, computer, fuses, ground issue).
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Zane M

Without doing a diagnostic, it is hard to say 100% that it is the fuel pump.
I recently had a no fuel issue with my '87 TBI. When you don't hear the pump, it is easy to assume that is the issue.
However, I went through the diagnostic process listed in the factory service manual, and it turned out my fuel pump relay was bad.
Doing the diagnostic process saved me money on parts, a lot of time, and me having the subsequent stroke I would have had if I had gone through the process of changing the pump only to have the truck still not work.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
cfan10

Put it in a shop and told them the issues and they tested it and turned out not to be the fuel pump, but a transmission mount...not sure if I believe that but it is running now so, who knows. I have a year warranty on the work. So, frustrated at the price $259 to change a transmission mount.
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Old 10-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
cfan10

Still going to change the fuel pump to one from Napa since it has an autozone unit now and I hate autozone parts, those parts are usually junk out of the box.