The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
DarkFlounder

Upgrading front disc calipers worth it?

The calipers on my 72 3/4 4x4 are worn and due for a rebuild/replacement. So, I've got options.

Rebuild, replace, or upgrade.

I've got no problems rebuilding the calipers, but remanufactured calipers are so damn cheap ($23 each from Summit).

Then there's the upgrade option. Been looking at the Wilwood 2 piston bolt-on replacement calipers.

Is the upgrade worth the price? Looks aren't an issue (can't see them behind my steelies), so I'm interested purely in performance. Will they noticeably improve my brakes?

This is my daily driver, and I have no issues throwing some extra money at it when it comes to safety.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Upgrading front disc calipers worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
The calipers on my 72 3/4 4x4 are worn and due for a rebuild/replacement. So, I've got options.

Rebuild, replace, or upgrade.

I've got no problems rebuilding the calipers, but remanufactured calipers are so damn cheap ($23 each from Summit).

Then there's the upgrade option. Been looking at the Wilwood 2 piston bolt-on replacement calipers.

Is the upgrade worth the price? Looks aren't an issue (can't see them behind my steelies), so I'm interested purely in performance. Will they noticeably improve my brakes?

This is my daily driver, and I have no issues throwing some extra money at it when it comes to safety.
Two piston calipers are what you have now. One on each side of the rotor, opposing each other. Four piston calipers would be an upgrade but unless you are hauling a box full of stuff or autocrossing your truck they probably aren't wirth the extra $.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Two piston calipers are what you have now. One on each side of the rotor, opposing each other. Four piston calipers would be an upgrade but unless you are hauling a box full of stuff or autocrossing your truck they probably aren't wirth the extra $.
Is that a 4x4 (or 3/4+ ton) thing because the 2wd C10's are a single piston design.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
DarkFlounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Is that a 4x4 (or 3/4+ ton) thing because the 2wd C10's are a single piston design.
As far as I can tell, 4x4 and 3/4 tons use the same single piston caliper as 1/2 tons.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Since I can't say for sure if the Wilwood upgrade is worth it, let's instead ask why you think you might need an upgrade.

Are you satisfied with the way the stock brakes work? Do you ever find yourself wishing the brakes worked better?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
DarkFlounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Since I can't say for sure if the Wilwood upgrade is worth it, let's instead ask why you think you might need an upgrade.

Are you satisfied with the way the stock brakes work? Do you ever find yourself wishing the brakes worked better?
I'm planning on replacing pretty much everything brake related with new parts (master cylinder, brake hoses, calipers). I drive daily in SF Bay traffic, and the less I have to worry about possibly 40 year old parts, the better.

Since I'm going to have everything apart anyway (pulling out the front axle and replacing all the replaceable parts (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc)), looking for any upgrades to improve ride and safety.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
I'm planning on replacing pretty much everything brake related with new parts (master cylinder, brake hoses, calipers). I drive daily in SF Bay traffic, and the less I have to worry about possibly 40 year old parts, the better.

Since I'm going to have everything apart anyway (pulling out the front axle and replacing all the replaceable parts (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc)), looking for any upgrades to improve ride and safety.
Understood, you want a system that works well, given your daily drive. If you replaced the calipers with new OEM-type calipers, they would be new parts, not 40 year old parts. Assuming the stock system works well enough, why pay extra to upgrade it? Hence your question, I know, I'm rambling a bit....

I hope someone familiar with those Wilwoods will jump in here so you can get better responses. It's a good question and deserves a good answer. What about contacting local shops specializing in brakes? Or contacting Wilwood to see what they have to say?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading front disc calipers worth it?

Well I agree unless these are some caliper I've never seen before they are single pistons weather they are 2 wheel are 4 wheel drives.
I have a same questions asked in my thread and haven't got much info about the true performance of the upgrades on these trucks for D/D.
I'm running 20" wheels with a over all diameter of 29" tall tires.

For a performance truck that see a auto cross then the answer has been yes though!
So far my personal feeling is the rear disc swap wasn't worth a penny in the performance area but does look nice with my Boss wheels. I'm trying to decide if I want larger disc up front now and haven't seen much better info on it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
A single piston on one side of the rotor only won't stop a golf cart much less a truck.

Last edited by Fitz; 10-14-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
leddzepp

I have all new OEM stuff on my 72 and it stops on a dime. Unless you are racing or hauling big loads I think it would be a waste of money.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
cdowns

Quote:
A single piston on one side of the rotor only won't stop a golf cart much less a truck.
more bad fitz info // millions of vehicles on the road stop just fine with single piston brakes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading front disc calipers worth it?

Single piston caliper:

Double piston caliper:

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
halfstep

I'd say so, but it's not my $ or truck.
Easy to do, moderate expense ($140 cost differential), less weight, and one of the most used components on your truck.
Of course you may never notice the difference, but it will be a practical little extra that you did.
Confidence in braking is always good.
halfstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Don't tell that to my K20, it's been doing fine for 44 years now on the same single piston calipers it had when it left the factory!

And yes it has hauled quite a few very heavy loads, over mountain roads no less. Dunno where you got that bit of info....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 AM   #15
70SBC10BOB

Piston area dictates clamping force (not the number of pistons). The more piston surface area, the more stopping power. However, you can have too much clamping force and cause brake lock up. Now you are skidding, not stopping.

Also, your single piston cast caliper is more ridged than an aluminum caliper. The aluminum caliper will also become weaker as temps increase (about 50% structural rigidity at 300 degrees) causing brake fade/excess pedal travel.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 10-15-2015, 12:40 AM   #16
midnight rambler

I have willwood 4 piston on the front of my truck. Driving home one day 45 mph i had a 80 year old man pull out in front of me from a side street, he panicked and stopped dead in front of me. I Hit the brakes went into a straight skid, the old man had that ohh **** look on his face, at the last second he hit the accelerator and darted across the street, just missing a car coming from the other direction. Im sure he was glad i had upgraded my brakes.
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Sorry man, you have no clue what you're talking about this time. I just did the brakes on my truck. Single piston just like the pic Andy posted.

Now my 1965 Mustang... that came with factory 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers up front. Pretty freakin' cool.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #18
tommys72

I know mine are single piston. Old factory GM stuff. Stops my truck pretty darn good

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #19
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The benefit of multi-piston calipers is more even apply pressure across the pads, meaning more even wear. If anyone here has done a stock disc brake job and seen that the pads are worn at an angle across the surface, that is why. This is a concern for high performance applications, like Indy and NASCAR. Not so much for the family truckster. You can drop as much money as you want on a brake job, but the only upgrade I will ever make on my truck's brakes is to eventually go to front disc, with stock parts. If you "autocross" your truck, you could benefit from multi-piston calipers. I wouldn't waste my money on them otherwise, except for the brag factor, which I don't care about.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 AM   #20
68shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SBC10BOB View Post
Piston area dictates clamping force (not the number of pistons). The more piston surface area, the more stopping power. However, you can have too much clamping force and cause brake lock up. Now you are skidding, not stopping.

Also, your single piston cast caliper is more ridged than an aluminum caliper. The aluminum caliper will also become weaker as temps increase (about 50% structural rigidity at 300 degrees) causing brake fade/excess pedal travel.

Good luck,
Bob
It's about time somebody actually brings up the piston area. I find it interesting that Wilwood sells these calipers as an upgrade, but the piston area is decreased from the stock caliper. Seems like a downgrade to me.
I bet they provide an excellent pedal feel with a stock bore master cylinder though.

I do suppose I could have done the math wrong, so I would be happy to hear what others come up with.

And yes, the aluminum could also become an issue depending on how you are using them.

It is possible to get brake pads with a larger braking contact surface. Using front pads for a 94-94 Impala SS gets you a larger pad that was factory designed for the D52 style calipers.
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote