The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
weider1717

a tip to help finish off a detailed engine bay (pics)

Awhile back actually when I had my rad out i noticed the staples that hold the top and bottom of the fan shroud together was rusty.

I took the same gauge steel and replaced them clipped them looks just like it did new.

If your bay is detailed just an idea to bring it up a bit be surprised how you notice them when you look from the side into the engine bay. With these truck being hard to find in good condition details like this if you ever do sell can help bring that premium of a nice piece IMO. Keep um original

Couple pics to describe.

Name:  IMG_6265.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  IMG_6262.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6263.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  28.0 KB
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
chengny

Re: a tip to help finish off a detailed engine bay (pics)

Another option:

I use stainless tee-nuts and button head socket screws (5/16" x 1/4") to fasten the upper/lower shroud sections together. They look good, allow for quick separation of the shroud halves and are easily reassembled.

Remove the shroud halves from the truck and clamp them together - the guide pins with maintain the correct line up.

Drill 3 appropriately sized holes (to accept the OD of the threaded body of the tee-nut) through both flanges. As far as locations - I use the same spots as where the factory staples are located.

Un-clamp the shrouds halves and set the upper aside.

Thread one of the screws into the tee-nut (provides a place to hold onto with some Channelocks).

Apply heat to the tee-nut with a torch - until it is hot enough to melt into the plastic of the shroud. Line up the tee-nut with a hole and gently sink it into the upper surface of the lower shroud flange.

The 4 claws will sink right through easily. The trick is to apply just enough pressure so that the round upper surface of the tee-nut will also become just partially embedded into the plastic.

It takes some practice to learn how hot to make the tee-nut. If it's not hot enough, it won't melt/penetrate/embed in the flange. If it's too hot (and you push too hard) you can push the entire tee-nut right through the flange.

When all the tee nuts have been inserted, use a pair of Channelocks to bend each of the claws over. Do this with the jaws of the pliers on the face of the tee-nut and the claw point. Squeeze the pliers until the claw bends over onto the lower surface of the flange. It isn't necessary to do all 4 claws - there will be one that is difficult to access.

When you are done you will have 3 permanent threaded stainless inserts in the flanges of the lower shroud.

These images are all I could find of the finished product:

chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Gregski
Post Whore

Nice job, I would have probably used rivets and a rivet gun, than had second thoughts if when I would have to drill them out to separate them two pieces
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Zach079xxx

GET THAT OFF THAT BEAUTIFUL PAINT! Hahahaha jk
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote