The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
hugger6933

Bedside filler or back bumper fill?

I'm at the point [or close enough to have to plan for it] in Wiggy's build at my place for the filler. I'm doing him up a 5.3 setup on the frame off that I fell into[started out as a patch panel on the cab]and now we are at the rear tank stage of the planning and prep. I have seen a few bedside gas doors that look pretty good, what are they cutout of? On the Camaro or Chevelle tanks the rear flip plate idea for the gas neck looks good to me witch tank do you prefer or like the best? On the Camaro or Chevelle tank did you just make some straps? Thanks for the help. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Youey

Re: Bedside filler or back bumper fill?

I did the camaro tank swap and used the straps it came with, I haven't gone to gas station yet to see how easy it's gonna be but it seems to work pretty well. There's a whole write up on how to do it. The side mounted filler I think you could cut them out of any truck in the junk yard and make it work.
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
hugger6933

Well on my yard I have a ton of side from 99-07 Chevy trucks and half a doz or so from the 88-98 model I gone through most of that stuff and crushed it out. Same with the S10 stuff but I do have a couple beds left from both body styles they had. I was hoping that one of them may be what we needed for the bedside fill if we went that way.[on wiggy's truck ] I think I may just leave most of my tanks in the cab. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

In the past I have used them out of mid 70's chevy vans, mid eighties ford pickups, but the best (IMHO) one I have found that has the closest curve to our trucks bedsides are the 1st generation Dodge Dakotas, they need the least amount of shrinking/stretching
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
Nitis

What about these?

http://www.hotrodhardware.com/index....od/prd2266.htm
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Dustytrix

The camaro tank hangs real low, well for me it did. I am going to use one of those cool caps, inserted into my fender. Using a 49-52 chevy sedan tank its a lot more work but it fits in the frame rails nice.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote