The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #26
Saphiro

Re: Engine oil...... an interesting story

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I'm playing Russian roulette with my '02 Tahoe. 20k mile oil change intervals and filter ever 3k. Amsoil and AC Delco filters. When the motor goes, it goes. Then I'll probably be all over the Internet bashing Amsoil. Just kidding I'm not that type.
I've got to ask, how many miles do you have on the Tahoe all together? A 20k mile interval is amazing and I don't know that I'd have the stomach for it, but if it's possible to do this for 200,000 or more miles, I might change my thinking.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #27
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
I don't doubt that the oil change interval has the potential to be longer, but I have yet to see any information supporting the claim, ie: a test between two engines, one with oil changed at 3000 and one changed at 7000 to identify the wear differences, if any.

Oil companies would obviously love for us to use a minimum interval, because it's good for their business. Likewise, automotive manufacturers could potentially stress a longer duration between because it makes their vehicles seem tougher, and if there were issues, they'd bank on you fixing it at the dealership.

Like I said, I can't confirm or deny any claims made by any manufacturer without a 3rd party test from an entity that isn't benefiting from the information.

One thing is for sure, no one has ever had issues due to too many oil changes!

I agree 2000% how is he wasting his money when his engine is in excellent condition? any time I think about extending my oil change. I think about the cost of a new engine and the labor to install it.... oil changes are sooo much cheaper. why is he OCD because he carries extral oil and a filter. Maybe he's a aircraft pilot with an airframe and powerplant licence.

there is lots of data to support shorter oil change intervals....in the aircraft industry where engines can cost as much as some houses.

Oh and another thing,,, its not about the lubricating qualities of the oil , its abot the additives that are lost over time and the dirt that the oil collects. Its amazing that in this day and age people still dont get that. and actually argue the point. My 93 toyota truck had the timing chain replaced at 217k miles and the inside of my engine looked as good as the day it was builtit now has 275k miles on it. My 90 toyota camry same same at 341K miles. niether one burns or uses oil.

its always cheaper to change oil rather than an engine. ask anybody in the aviation industry. or better yet go price a new aircraft engine, Then try to argue the case for "extended oil change intervals.

Talk is cheap, go buy a new engine and get back to us on your extended oil chang interval theory after you've paid out some money.

some people still just dont get that, its so strange.

Last edited by mike16; 10-30-2015 at 06:42 PM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #28
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphiro View Post
I've got to ask, how many miles do you have on the Tahoe all together? A 20k mile interval is amazing and I don't know that I'd have the stomach for it, but if it's possible to do this for 200,000 or more miles, I might change my thinking.
125k. Been doing it since 70k. I got 6 cases of Amsoil for free or else I'd never pay that kind of money for oil.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #29
richards72chevy

I have been told that oil technology has came along way but oil filters have not kept up.I don't know if this is true.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
biketopia

If you want to be totally sure, get an oil analysis. Spin a new filter on and top off as needed and see what the report says, if it says change it change, if not, keep on trucking.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #31
kcsa75

When I was just out of college I got a job with a company car. My boss told me to change the oil every 5K miles cause it's easy to remember. It made a lot of sense to me so I've done that for the last 30 years. I'm a Valvoline guy. I use conventional in my '72 and the synthetic blend in my '04 Explorer and '09 F150.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #32
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Computerized engine management and fuel delivery, a religious maintenance schedule and sensible driving habits.

As Mike pointed out, the normal breakdown of the oils additives and the dirt it collects, are enough reason to change oil periodically. Considering that the oil plays a major roll in temperature management, maintaining those additives is critical to long engine life..

I try to change my oil every 3-5K with any good oil & a WIX filter and I expect my engine to outlast me. I have a friend with a '67 Mustang with a straight 6 that is finally just about due for his second overhaul at 400+ K.

It's a pity that so many people have zero idea of the extreme heat and pressures an engine goes through and how affordable good care of this major investment can be.

my 2¢

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote