The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
kickinasphalt

Should I start restoring my pickup???

Hello all! I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm 20 years old and have had my 72 C-10 since I was 15 (my first vehicle). I also have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix which is my current everyday vehicle. When I got my pickup, it was in pretty descent shape. (had been repainted about 10 years earlier). A year after I got it I got into accident where a cavalier ran into my passenger side fender which ended up taking out both fenders, inner fenders, grill, bumper, radiator support and pushing the frame (just in front of the wheels) over about 6 inches. Since it was winter and the streets were slick, the car swung around and hit my passengers side box too. This pushed the outside of the box in but not enough to really mess up the inside layer. Long story short the accident was my fault (damn unmarked intersections) and since I didn't have full coverage I of course didn't get money to fix it up. Thanks to the help of some friends we managed to get the thing fixed up to the point it was driveable (some of you would have probably cried if you saw how we fixed the frame...involved a JD 4010 and an Allis Chalmers payloader). Found some fenders and got a grill and bumper off ebay. It actually drives good but of course doesn't look great.

I've always been back and forth about getting it fixed up. I absolutely LOVE these series pickups but thought it would just be easier to sell it cheap and get another pickup to work on (I have always wanted a 4x4 instead). Well I still want a 4x4 but have decided I want to keep my 72. I know I wouldn't get squat for it and when I thought about it I know I would regret selling it later in life (I've talked to so many older guys that regret selling their first vehicle and wished they still had it).

Now as far as fixing it up I have a place to do it and and ability/tools to do most of the stuff (except paint and body work repair). I have some money to start out with but just basically need to get started. For those who have fixed it about how much do you think it would take to get things fixed up? Where is a good place to start looking for parts? I think I should be able to find a new frame somewhere locally because I really don't want to mess with the current once since it still isn't quite straight. Thanks much and I appreciate any opinions.
FOR SALE: 1971 K-10 Longbox,350/SM465/NP205
kickinasphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
imdarren

First. Figure out what you want to restore it for.
A trailer queen? or a driver?
Basically decide that, along with how much money you wan't to spend on it.
I would start with the frame / chassis first. get that old frame replaced with a good one. Get it sandblasted or use a wire wheel on it. Repaint the frame, and go up frome there.
While you have the cab off, media blast the rusty spots, and use por15 or a good primer on those spots. Then from there spend as much time and or money you like.
I think the big thing is to get it back to a "running stage" as soon as possible. If you don't, you may loose intrest.
So I suggest getting it back up and running as soon as possible, and then slowly improve things until it's the way you want it.

Just my opinion.

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The best place I have found to start is with a 3 ring binder(notebook).You need to know where you are and where you want to go.It will save tons of time and $$$$ if you have a plan. Adress the mechanicals first.Make sure you go over the truck thoroughly and make lots of notes.Now is the time to pick a theme for how you want the finished truck to look.If you want high tech seats and 20's then you probably don't want to go with an old school rod type theme.After you have a good idea of how you want the truck to look finished then come up with a plan of what to do in what order.It will save lots of time and $$ if you don't have to go back and do paint again because you scratched it up putting in the new motor.You also don't want to have to redo the frame because you forgot to weld on brackets for some small item.
Budget.... Figure out how much you need for parts, figure out how much you need for labor you can't do yourself, figure a contingency fund, add them together.
Now tripple that figure and add 25%=price (approx)
Now do the same with time=how long it will take (give or take 10-25 years){having a family and sending kids to college tends to get in the way of the finances for a project}
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
Blue Beard

One step at a time, but go for it you won't regret it.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
toms68cst

Welcome back kick'n.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote