The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: To cut, or not to cut? That is the question.

I have read your responses (didn't before other post). It sounds like you are doing the right thing and fine-tuning the size you need to fit the truck as it sits by letting proper backspace to allow the fit. That right there is fine vehicle building. Cutting is the quick 'n' easy fit. Making them fit is finesse.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #52
68Stepbed

Here's where I'm at. I feel pretty confident that I can get an 18x9.5" wheel under the front and rear with 5" bacspacing. The only tires I can find (that will look good on a truck) is the Falken Azenis RT615K in a 295/40/18. It's just over 27" tall. The issue comes to the wheels. I know I need a good forged or billet wheel to take the stress, but, they're expensive. If I'm going to spend the big bucks on custom forged wheels, I may go ahead and tub the bedsides to get the most wheel I can stuff under it. I hate to spend the extra money for wheels that "just fit" when I could get a less expensive cast wheel to tie me over until I can afford the suspension system that will really take advantage of the wider tires. The only 1 piece cast wheel in an affordable range is the Boss 338. Most other cast wheels are 5.5" or 5.25" backspace. Once you get into two piece wheels, prices tend to go up a bit, but still affordable. But then, its hard to find some in the 5x5" truck bolt pattern.

I really just wish I could find some 17" tires to fit my current wheels that still performed well in autocross. The only sizes that are available are made for smaller cars.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #53
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Here's where I'm at. I feel pretty confident that I can get an 18x9.5" wheel under the front and rear with 5" bacspacing. The only tires I can find (that will look good on a truck) is the Falken Azenis RT615K in a 295/40/18. It's just over 27" tall. The issue comes to the wheels. I know I need a good forged or billet wheel to take the stress, but, they're expensive. If I'm going to spend the big bucks on custom forged wheels, I may go ahead and tub the bedsides to get the most wheel I can stuff under it. I hate to spend the extra money for wheels that "just fit" when I could get a less expensive cast wheel to tie me over until I can afford the suspension system that will really take advantage of the wider tires. The only 1 piece cast wheel in an affordable range is the Boss 338. Most other cast wheels are 5.5" or 5.25" backspace. Once you get into two piece wheels, prices tend to go up a bit, but still affordable. But then, its hard to find some in the 5x5" truck bolt pattern.

I really just wish I could find some 17" tires to fit my current wheels that still performed well in autocross. The only sizes that are available are made for smaller cars.
Have you looked at Toyo R888's? 9 sizes from 205 to 315 mm for 17 in rims and these things GRIP! They are great autocross or roadracing tires. I use em on this:
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote